Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2022/10/28 09:01:13 UTC

HC 5.2 GA next week?

Folks

I would like to start the release process for HttpCore 5.2 GA followed
by HttpClient 5.2 right after.

Will there be at least two more PMCs around to help me with the releases?

Oleg

Re: HC 5.2 GA next week?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
For my money, maintaining one 4.x and one 5.x branch is enough.

Gary

Re: 5.1 Long term support?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
What Oleg proposed (sorry for the top post) is fine with me.

Gary

Re: 5.1 Long term support?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

>> I propose we do one more release of 5.1 and then focus exclusively on
>> 4.5.x (GA) 5.2.x (GA) and 5.3.x (ALPHA).
>
> My bad, I meant 5.1.x instead of 5.0.x. 5.1.x deserves at least one one
> release and then we have only 4.5.x and 5.2.x. 5.3.x needs a plan with
> features, just bugfixes don't qualify for a new minor version. In the
> near future we also need to discuss how long 4.5.x should live. Many are
> still on it.
>
> We should so push releases for Core 4.4.x and Client 4.5.x somewhere
> this year. I see fixes on those branches as well.

I am planning to do 4.x releases after 5.2 and 5.1 before Christmas.

I will also put a proposal for 5.3 features shortly after 5.2.
Deprecation of NTLM (and potentially Kerberos) alone warrants a minor
version bump.

Oleg

Re: 5.1 Long term support?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2022-10-28 um 11:35 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

> On 10/28/2022 11:07 AM, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2022-10-28 um 11:01 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> I would like to start the release process for HttpCore 5.2 GA
>>> followed by HttpClient 5.2 right after.
>>>
>>> Will there be at least two more PMCs around to help me with the
>>> releases?
>>
>> I am here..
>>

> Great. Thank you.
>
>> We should also discuss whether 5.2 will fully supersede 5.1. It is
>> more than enough to maintain three branches, 4.5.x, 5.0.x and 5.x.
>>

> I was going to open a discussion on the 5.1.x long term support after
> the 5.2 GA, but let's get started right away.
>
> The only reason to maintain 5.1.x in parallel to 5.2.x is to have a Java
> 1.7 compatible version with HTTP/2 support mainly for Android as a
> target platform. I see no other reason to choose 5.1 over 5.2.
>
> At the same time it looks increasingly less likely someone in their
> right mind would pick Java language over Kotlin on Android. The main and
> only reason to maintain the 5.1 line any longer is gone, in my opinion.
>
> I propose we do one more release of 5.1 and then focus exclusively on
> 4.5.x (GA) 5.2.x (GA) and 5.3.x (ALPHA).

My bad, I meant 5.1.x instead of 5.0.x. 5.1.x deserves at least one one
release and then we have only 4.5.x and 5.2.x. 5.3.x needs a plan with
features, just bugfixes don't qualify for a new minor version. In the
near future we also need to discuss how long 4.5.x should live. Many are
still on it.

We should so push releases for Core 4.4.x and Client 4.5.x somewhere
this year. I see fixes on those branches as well.

Michael

5.1 Long term support?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

On 10/28/2022 11:07 AM, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2022-10-28 um 11:01 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>> Folks
>>
>> I would like to start the release process for HttpCore 5.2 GA followed
>> by HttpClient 5.2 right after.
>>
>> Will there be at least two more PMCs around to help me with the releases?
>
> I am here..

Great. Thank you.

Re: HC 5.2 GA next week?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.