Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by bitz <th...@canada.com> on 2009/10/24 01:26:23 UTC

OpenEJB over SSL

I'm using a snapshot of geronimo 2.2 which uses OpenEJB 3.1.2.  I'm writing a
test application to try out ejbds, which provides support for OpenEJB
client-server communications over SSL. According to these,

http://www.nabble.com/EJBd-protocol-over-SSL-td22188312.html
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-785

it should work.  I'm running the client and Geronimo on the same machine.
Here's my client code,

final URI serverURI = new URI( "ejbds", null, "127.0.0.1", 4201, null, null,
null );
final Properties contextProperties = new Properties( );
contextProperties.put( Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
"org.apache.openejb.client.RemoteInitialContextFactory" );
contextProperties.put( Context.PROVIDER_URL, serverURI.toString( ) );
contextProperties.put("ejbd.secure", "true");

final InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext( contextProperties );
final MyEjbService remote = (MyEjbService)ctx.lookup("MyEjbRemote");
final String serverTime = remote.getServerTime();
System.out.println("server time: " + serverTime);

The OpenEJB client code is detecting "ejbds" as the protocol and creating an
SSLSocket, but the client fails on the ctx.lookup() call.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid response from server: -1
at org.apache.openejb.client.JNDIContext.lookup(JNDIContext.java:277)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)

The geronimo.log server-side shows,

java.io.IOException: Unexpected byte 128
at
org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.KeepAliveServer$Session.service(KeepAliveServer.java:221)
at
org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.KeepAliveServer.service(KeepAliveServer.java:233)
at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.EjbServer.service(EjbServer.java:66)

When I dig into the OpenEjb server code, ServerDaemon.java, it appears to
need a "secure" property to be set to true.  When I debug the code,
ServerDaemon.java configures the socket listener when the GBean starts, then
never again, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. Using
contextProperties.put("ejbd.secure", "true") on the client side has no
effect.  And I can't find a way to set the 'secure' attribute in Geronimo's
config.xml.  Geronimo fails to start, complaining that 'secure' is
unrecognized when I add it as an attribute to EJBNetworkService.

One of the links above mentions doing properties.setProperty("ejbd.secure",
"true") on the server side, but where/how would I do that?

What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: OpenEJB over SSL

Posted by bitz <th...@canada.com>.
I think I figured it out.  I had to add another server side ejbd
configuration.  If I pass -Dejbd.discovery="ejb:ejbds://{bind}:{port}" to
the JVM on the server side (in addition to -Dejbd.secure=true), then the
server properly replies back to the client with a ClusterResponse containing
ejbds.  Subsequent EJB calls, etc, work fine.

Re: OpenEJB over SSL

Posted by bitz <th...@canada.com>.

Re: OpenEJB over SSL

Posted by bitz <th...@canada.com>.