Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by T Vinod Gupta <tv...@readypulse.com> on 2012/07/08 21:58:16 UTC

index.merge.scheduler exception - java.io.IOException: Input/output error

Hi,
My log files are showing the below exceptions almost at twice a minute
frequency. what is causing it and how can i fix it? I am not using lucene
directly but instead using elasticsearch (0.18.7 version). but since the
stack trace is all lucene, i am sending it to this mailing list.

also, my queries are taking a long time to execute (sometimes take a
minute). could this be contributing to it somehow?

[2012-07-08 19:44:19,887][WARN ][index.merge.scheduler    ] [<my node
name>] [twitter][4] failed to merge
java.io.IOException: Input/output error:
NIOFSIndexInput(path="/media/ephemeral0
/ES_data/elasticsearch/nodes/0/indices/twitter/4/index/_2h29k.tis")
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory$NIOFSIndexInput.readInternal(N
IOFSDirectory.java:180)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.refill(BufferedIndexInput.
java:229)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readByte(BufferedIndexInput.java:39)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.DataInput.readVInt(DataInput.java:105)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readVInt(BufferedIndexInput.java:197)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.TermBuffer.read(TermBuffer.java:86)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermEnum.next(SegmentTermEnum.java:133)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMergeInfo.next(SegmentMergeInfo.java:72)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfos(SegmentMerger.java:546)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTerms(SegmentMerger.java:473)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:109)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4295)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:3940)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:388)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.TrackingConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(TrackingConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:88)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:456)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Input/output error
        at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcher.pread0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcher.pread(FileDispatcher.java:49)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:248)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:224)
        at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.read(FileChannelImpl.java:663)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory$NIOFSIndexInput.readInternal(NIOFSDirectory.java:162)
        ... 15 more

thanks

Re: index.merge.scheduler exception - java.io.IOException: Input/output error

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
If you can live with the loss of 385395 documents, running with -fix
is an option.  I'd create a new index.  I'd also worry about why the
existing index got messed up in the first place.

I've no idea about running fsck on ec2 file systems. General file
system commands hanging for 10 secs doesn't sound good - I'd worry
about that first of all.

--
Ian.

Posted by T Vinod Gupta <tv...@readypulse.com>.