Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by de...@aidasystems.com on 2004/02/16 10:41:51 UTC

Slower performance after upgrade 2.53 -> 2.63 w/ Bayes

Hi,

I have recently done a portupgrade after a binary upgrade from FreeBSD-4.8 to
4.9

One of the results was an upgrade from SpamAssassin 2.53 to 2.63 (and also
perl update i think).

I have Spamd running on two mailservers (running freebsd) with user
preferences from SQL. I also use AWL and Bayes Filtering.
AWL and bayes_* is stored in /home/vpopmail/.spamassassin and .spamassassin
directory is a symlink to a directory on NFS.

Before the Upgrade from SA 2.53 to 2.63, I read in the documentation about the
requirement of installing DB_File and doing sa-learn --import afterwards to
get your old bayes db back.

So all that is done, except it slowed down significantly.

I have changed the SA Makefile in ports so that Razor is not installed because
when it is, I cannot seem to get it disabled from
etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf using a line "use_razor2  0" as documented!
Perhaps a bug?

I also noticed a new DNS check which slowed down the average transaction
significantly (at least 5-10 seconds) despite the fact that I am using two
redundant DNSCache's
So I added "dns_available no" to local.cf and that helped a lot ("yes" didn't
seem to do much better)

I also have the following even from before the upgrade from 2.53:
skip_rbl_checks         1
use_razor2              0
use_dcc                 0
use_pyzor               0

The average message (2k size) used to get processed by spamc in 0.1-0.5 secs
Now message can take 1-5 secs to process a 2k size message

Could this be because of the changes in Bayes to use DB_File and a problem
with NFS?

We use a bunch of services like qmail, courierimap, pureftpd, apache, etc.. on
the NFS server and we haven't had any locking/caching problems.

The clients (2 mail servers) are FreeBSD 4.9

I installed the latest DB_File using CPAN shell.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Respectfully,
Tim Hasson

Re: Slower performance after upgrade 2.53 -> 2.63 w/ Bayes

Posted by de...@aidasystems.com.
Minor correction:

When I done "spamassassin -D --lint" and saw the new default DNS check slowing
it down, I thought maybe if I statically set "dns_available yes" in local.cf
would skip the check and thus be much faster.

Well, it did improve, but still averaged like 10 secs for 2k-8k messages which
is still abnormal (compared to 0.1 - 0.5 secs for 2-10k messages on SA 2.53)

Finally, I desperately set "dns_available no" in local.cf and messages are now
average 0.4 - 0.8 secs which is not bad...

This is my preliminary analysis, maybe more to come..

Quoting dev@aidasystems.com: