Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "KADAM, SIDDHESH" <si...@netcore.co.in> on 2019/08/02 12:15:36 UTC

External Tag In Mail

Hi Guys,

Using Spamassassin can we add word *EXTERNAL *in body of the email when
it comes from external world.

Thanks In Advanced.
Siddhesh

Re: External Tag In Mail

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 2 Aug 2019, at 8:15, KADAM, SIDDHESH wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Using Spamassassin can we add word *EXTERNAL *in body of the email
> when it comes from external world.

No. SpamAssassin does not do general-purpose body modification. The only
body modification it will do is in the case when report_safe is set and
the original message is encapsulated in a new report message.

Beyond that, the concept is fundamentally hostile to email
authentication. Modifying the message body invalidates any form of
signature (e.g. DKIM, PGP, or S/MIME.) As a result, delivered messages
which have been signed may be displayed by mail clients with indications
that they are fraudulent. It is also non-trivial to modify the bodies of
modern mail, since so much of it is composed in MIME
"multipart/alternative" form, making it necessary to modify both the
plaintext part and the HTML part.

If you really want to do this, one tool that could be useful in doing it
safely (by encapsulating the original message rather than modifying it)
is the MIMEDefang milter, which has very strong support for manipulating
MIOME messages. To use it, you need a MTA that supports the Milter
interface and you need some capacity to write Perl code.

--
Bill Cole