Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/06 11:55:34 UTC

ListenerResultManager

Hi,

At the moment a listener may be void, but it can also return a String,
an IPage, or an ILink. If the return value is a String or an IPage,
cycle.activate() is performed. If it is an ILink, a cycle.sendRedirect()
is performed.

I would like to move that behaviour into a new interface, say
ListenerResultManager. The implementation of that interface will be
determined by HiveMind. The default implementation would do the above.

Having this interface would allow Tapestry to easily integrate with
various workflow/webflow solutions (such as Spring Webflow). For
example, an implementation could see if the returned value is "success"
and determine the page it needs to activate from a configuration file,
or from the <meta> information in the page. It could perform something
else as well.

Comments?

Re: ListenerResultManager

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Since we're in a beta stage, the goal should be to concentrate on bug
fixes and documentation, not new functionality ... otherwise, we'll
never get this thing out the door. So my question wasn't a demand that
it wait for 4.1 ... just that MB should consider this before making
changes --- should think in terms of prioritizing towards the goal.

 I'm trying to stick to the same goals, even though I have lots of
ideas of things to add ... that will wait for 4.1 at this point.  Just
as long as 4.1 is not another 2 year cycle (I'm hoping 6 months or
less).

On 9/9/05, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can it wait for 4.1?
>
> There's a specific reason why you would like to wait for 4.1 ?
>
> Regards
> --
> Massimo

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: ListenerResultManager

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: ListenerResultManager

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
All of the code in there is already written in
ListenerMethodInvokerImpl. Since this is just an issue of reorganization
(moving code from one place to another), I do not see a point to wait.

But sure, it is certainly not urgent, so it can wait until 4.1.

Re: ListenerResultManager

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Can it wait for 4.1?

On 9/6/05, Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment a listener may be void, but it can also return a String,
> an IPage, or an ILink. If the return value is a String or an IPage,
> cycle.activate() is performed. If it is an ILink, a cycle.sendRedirect()
> is performed.
>
> I would like to move that behaviour into a new interface, say
> ListenerResultManager. The implementation of that interface will be
> determined by HiveMind. The default implementation would do the above.
>
> Having this interface would allow Tapestry to easily integrate with
> various workflow/webflow solutions (such as Spring Webflow). For
> example, an implementation could see if the returned value is "success"
> and determine the page it needs to activate from a configuration file,
> or from the <meta> information in the page. It could perform something
> else as well.
>
> Comments?

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry