Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by mauro2java2011 <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/29 16:50:05 UTC

INSTALL TOMEE with docker

Hi all.
I am newbie to docker container.
I would try to install a my web app with tomee using docker container.

Please i ask if exist a tutorial or article on a blog that explain to
install tomee with docker.

Re: INSTALL TOMEE with docker

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com>.
Hi Mauro,

If you can install your webapp on a Linux VM first, it's easy to
repackage it for a Docker install. Just prepare a folder with copies
of the TomEE install (assuming /opt here), and anything else needed
(assuming /etc for e.g. daemon init scripts), and a start.sh script
that starts TomEE and any other services required. This would be the
minimal Dockerfile:

ADD opt /opt
ADD etc /etc
ADD start.sh /root/
EXPOSE 443
WORKDIR /root
CMD ./start.sh

--
Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Posted by hwaastad <he...@waastad.org>.
Hi,
when you have made/built your tomee container you should have a look at
jolokia docker plugin and properties-maven-plugin.

Basically you would do something like this (maven, BTW):

 <plugin>
                <groupId>org.jolokia</groupId>
                <artifactId>docker-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>0.13.6</version>
                <configuration>
                    <images>
                        <image>
                            <registry>{private registry if
available}</registry>
                            <alias>{your app finalname}</alias>
                            <name>{your docker image}</name>
                            <build>
                                <from>{the dependent tomee image}</from>
                                <assembly>
                                    <descriptor>assembly.xml</descriptor>

<basedir>/usr/local/tomee/webapps/</basedir>
                                </assembly>
                                <tags>
                                    <tag>${docker.tag}</tag>
                                </tags>
                                <ports>
                                    <port>${run.port}</port>
                                </ports>
                                <env>

<CATALINA_OPTS>${my_catalina_opts}</CATALINA_OPTS>
                                </env>
                            </build>
                            <run>
                                <ports>
                                    <port>${run.port}:${run.port}</port>
                                </ports>
                            </run>
                        </image>
                    </images>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>properties-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>1.0-alpha-2</version>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <phase>initialize</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>read-project-properties</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <id>read-project-properties</id>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
                <configuration>
                    <files>

<file>${project.basedir}/src/main/docker/environment.properties</file>
                    </files>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

assembly:

<assembly
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.2"

xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.2
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/assembly-1.1.2.xsd">
    <dependencySets>
        <dependencySet>
            <useProjectArtifact>true</useProjectArtifact>
            <includes>
                <include>{your app artifact}</include>
            </includes>
            <outputDirectory>.</outputDirectory>
            <outputFileNameMapping>{your app}.war</outputFileNameMapping>
        </dependencySet>
    </dependencySets>
</assembly>

environment.properties

my_catalina_opts= -D<whatever>...

So mvn clean package docker:build
(mvn docker:push for uploading to registry)

If you use generic names for all properties it's easy to build an app which
you can deploy in lab/prod/whatever just by changing docker links (and env
vars)

cheers,

hw

Re: INSTALL TOMEE with docker

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
> ok i have view to  https://github.com/tomitribe/docker-tomee
> <https://github.com/tomitribe/docker-tomee>
>
> how i can install on docker ?

The files in this repo are used to build docker-images. You could use them
to build your own tomee-base-imgage. But there are also pre-built images
available on docker hub:

https://hub.docker.com/_/tomee/

> and install it on openshift using docker?

You might want to have a look at this:
https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/install_config/install/docker_registry.html

Regards,
Christoph

Re: INSTALL TOMEE with docker

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Just wondering, are you working off of a tomee docker image?
https://github.com/tomitribe/docker-tomee

John