Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sebastian Graf <sg...@grove.de> on 2007/10/12 12:15:31 UTC

unsubscribed

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sebastian Graf

	  |N |O |C |
	--|--|--|--|----------------
	  |          GROVE
	Network Operation Center

Re: Mailman cooler [Was Re: unsubscribed]

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 15:52 15-10-2007, Mark Martinec wrote:
>Also, not to forget that mailman in its current version invalidates and
>removes DKIM signatures, while this mailing lists stays faithful and keeps
>messages intact and retains original signatures. (there is supposedly some
>mailman patch floating around to fix that, but I don't know where).

Adding footers to the message or tagging the subject line invalidates
the DKIM signature.  You can turn off these features in
mailman.  There is a configuration option to retain the original DKIM
signature.

Regards,
-sm

Re: Mailman cooler [Was Re: unsubscribed]

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
On Monday 15 October 2007 23:52:04 Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> > BP> comprised of people who know how email works.
> >
> > Wish this list would use e.g., mailman, where one can turn off delivery.
>
> I wish I had an ice cream cone. :)
>
> We use what the ASF provides to us for free.

Also, not to forget that mailman in its current version invalidates and
removes DKIM signatures, while this mailing lists stays faithful and keeps
messages intact and retains original signatures. (there is supposedly some
mailman patch floating around to fix that, but I don't know where).

  Mark

Re: Mailman cooler [Was Re: unsubscribed]

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> BP> comprised of people who know how email works.
>
> Wish this list would use e.g., mailman, where one can turn off delivery.

I wish I had an ice cream cone. :)

We use what the ASF provides to us for free.

Daryl

Re: Mailman cooler

Posted by ji...@jidanni.org.
RB> You can do the equivalent (to turn off delivery) by un-subscribing
RB> from the user's list and subscribing to
RB> users-allow@spamassassin.apache.org

No wonder.

Be sure to document this wherever you document that there is a mailing
list.

Otherwise users spend hours all the way at the ezmlm mail system
source code site looking for how to do it.

Re: Mailman cooler [Was Re: unsubscribed]

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@freenet.de>.
Hello René,

Am 2007-10-15 18:34:22, schrieb René Berber:
> jidanni wrote:
>
> > Wish this list would use e.g., mailman, where one can turn off delivery.
>
> You can do the equivalent (to turn off delivery) by un-subscribing from the
> user's list and subscribing to users-allow@spamassassin.apache.org .
>
> --
> René Berber
------------------------- END OF REPLIED MESSAGE -------------------------

Thanks for this info, I was not aware about it.
I am reading from an archive and my E-Mail I sue here is already spamed
by 500-200000 messages per day (depending on the day of the week)

And yes, curently i am hit per day by OVER 200000 messages per day.

But since spamassassin is to slow, I catch them with a procmail-recipe
and get over 95% of them, the rest is checked by spamassassin and some
other tools.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
jidanni wrote:

> Wish this list would use e.g., mailman, where one can turn off delivery.

You can do the equivalent (to turn off delivery) by un-subscribing from the
user's list and subscribing to users-allow@spamassassin.apache.org .

--
René Berber

Posted by ji...@jidanni.org.
BP> comprised of people who know how email works.

Wish this list would use e.g., mailman, where one can turn off delivery.

BP> turn to anti-spam tools and their discussion lists to help.

Indeed I use spamassassin to defend against its own list,
score J_SA_MAILING_LIST 55
as I read this list on gmane.org but still wish to post.

RE: unsubscribed

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

Thank you for that information.  However, I would like to take a moment
to say I was not the original poster requesting to unsubscribe to this
mail list.  I merely commented to the thread with my observations.  I am
sure this information will be helpful to those following this thread who
are interested in learning how to unsubscribe.

Steve

Re: unsubscribed

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Steve Ingraham wrote:
> I just wanted to add my agreement to your statements and to ask that
> some posters try to treat all of us asking these supposedly "stupid"
> questions to understand that we really do struggle with
> understanding how all of these systems function.

I see a lot of silly questions asked about SpamAssassin and I think
for the most part people are kind and helpful answering them.  I think
most people are excited to see SpamAssassin adopted and used in
interesting ways and are willing to help out.

I think the friction between people starts when discussion turns to
things not-SpamAssassin.  These are often concerning the basic
infrastructure things such as email and mailing lists.  Since email is
a basic structure that enables people to work together on the Internet
there is some expectation that people will use it at least somewhat
effectively.  Think of how disruptive it would be to a university
level calculus lecture if it were frequently interrupted with basic
math questions about 2+2 or with off-topic questions about chemistry.

In this case it is surprising to me that people subscribe successfully
to a mailing list but then can't unsubscribe from it.  Why wouldn't
they simply unsubscribe the same way that they subscribed?  I don't
know.  But we have all seen this happen repeatedly.  It is very
distracting.

I think with all of the off-topic discussions lately the mailing list
would gladly welcome silly SpamAssassin questions!  Please bring them
on! :-)

Bob

RE: unsubscribed

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

No!  My apologies for the misunderstanding.  My bad.  I understand what
you are saying.  I just wanted to add my agreement to your statements

RE: unsubscribed

Posted by Clay Davis <cd...@avionics-specialties.com>.
Steve, I hope you didn't misunderstand me... I AGREE with you!
Clay

>>> "Steve Ingraham" <si...@okcca.net> 10/16/2007 4:10 PM >>>

I cannot help but comment on this post.  I am one of those ignorant
people that is subscribed to this list (along with several others) for
the purpose of asking questions of you experts out there because I do
not fully understand how it is working.  By all accounts everyone of
you
out there would label me as a novice.  The truth of the matter is I am
novice.  As the saying goes; "I know enough about this stuff to be
dangerous".

What I would like to say by posting this is; why don't all you experts
out there relax a bit?  I, for one, acknowledge your superiority over
me
in this spam stuff.  I will never consider myself at the level of
understanding you are.  Therefore, I need you guys to keep me straight
and show me the errors of my ways when I run into problems.  However,
would greatly appreciate it if you would not "whip me up the side of
the
head" with my stupidity.  Instead work with me with the notion that
you
are talking with one of the "uneducated masses" and direct me to the
correct conclusion to my problem without being so dad blamed vague
about
what needs to happen.  Many times I flat don't understand what you are
saying when you might say "just run xyz.123 and it will work".  How
many
steps are involved in "running" xyz.123.  There may be an awful lot of
steps involved that you already know about but I don't.  If you truly
are interested in helping us bozos who don't already know this stuff
why
not talk to us about what we need to do as if we really don't
understand
it instead of talking to us as if we "should" already know about it
and
your flabbergasted because we don't?

Ok, enough ranting.  My apologies for taking up everyone's time.  I
seldom post here because I do not even remotely pretend to know enough
to help anyone.  I felt compelled to post this because I do not think
am alone when I mention that it really does get old when I post to
this
list (and others) only to get a condescending or vague response that I
cannot use to help in my situation.

Please be kind to us spamassassin administrators who want to keep
things
functional but have a tub load of other tasks to perform.  Many of us
out here are tasked with many many responsibilities of which managing
spamassassin is only a small part.  That forces us to not spend as
much
time as we should learning everything there is to know about
spamassassin because we have a dozen other responsibilities to take
care
of.

Ok time to stop now, forgive me for my rant.

Live Long and Prosper,
Steve

Re: unsubscribed

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Steve Ingraham wrote:
> Too often I get responses to a question that do not help me to
> understand what is happening because they are condescending, short or
> too vague for me to understand.  My intent for my post was to ask those
> of you who do understand these systems to be aware that many of us
> posting on this list may not fully understand them and are asking for
> your expert assistance.

I've always been of the opinion that a terse (not to be construed as
rude or condescending) response from someone who can identify what the
cause of your problem is and can get across in a few words what that
cause is to others who can, once knowing the cause (that they may not
have been able to identify themselves), help you resolve it is better
than nothing.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

People who post asking questions should be aware that some of the people
who are most familiar with the topic don't have the time or patience to
give everyone a detailed response.  Again it has long been my opinion
that the community as a whole is better served by (such people with)
terse responses to a lot of people than detailed responses to only a
few.  It may take you a little longer to resolve a problem, working with
other list members to do so, after receiving a terse response, but I'd
say that's better than never resolving the problem at all.

Alternatively, I've heard that some knowledgeable people work for food. ;)

Daryl

RE: unsubscribed

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

I too wish to express my apologies.

My post was not meant to be directed toward any one individual poster.
I was only voicing some frustrations that have occurred when I do post.
Too often I get responses to a question that do not help me to
understand what is happening because they are condescending, short or
too vague for me to understand.  My intent for my post was to ask those
of you who do understand these systems to be aware that many of us
posting on this list may not fully understand them and are asking for
your expert assistance.

I read posts daily and very seldom post myself.  I think this should
have been another instance when I did not post as well.  My post was
motivated by frustrations that I should not have expressed here.

Live Long and Prosper
Steve

Re: unsubscribed

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.com>.

Re: unsubscribed

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.

RE: unsubscribed

Posted by Clay Davis <cd...@avionics-specialties.com>.
I would agree if using "unsubscribe" in the subject line to get removed
from many mailing lists weren't so common... its almost the norm, or at
least it was.

I do agree that the SA group is always helpful when "how it works"
questions are asked.  Some have even called me long distance on their
dime to help; definitely above and beyond expectations.

I find it a little amusing that anyone is even reading this thread.  I
ALMOST never open any message from the SA list with "unsubscribe" in the
subject line and the only reason I opened this one was because the
subject was "unsubscribed" and I thought that mistyping the incorrect
way to get removed from the list would certainly have brought some funny
replies (I call it "voyeuristically sarcastic"... I don't participate,
but find it irresistible to read).

Re,
Clay

>>> "Rob Sterenborg" <R....@netsourcing.nl> 10/17/2007 2:25 AM

<... clipped>

RE: unsubscribed

Posted by Rob Sterenborg <R....@netsourcing.nl>.

RE: unsubscribed

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

out there would label me as a novice.  The truth of the matter is I am a
novice.  As the saying goes; "I know enough about this stuff to be
dangerous".

What I would like to say by posting this is; why don't all you experts
out there relax a bit?  I, for one, acknowledge your superiority over me
in this spam stuff.  I will never consider myself at the level of
understanding you are.  Therefore, I need you guys to keep me straight
and show me the errors of my ways when I run into problems.  However, I
[...]

to help anyone.  I felt compelled to post this because I do not think I

Re: unsubscribed

Posted by Clay Davis <cd...@avionics-specialties.com>.
Bob,

Re: unsubscribed

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.
* Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>:

> Yes and no.  It is a technical list for an anti-spam tool and so you
> would think would be comprised of people who know how email works.

Oh, my users cannot read either, and we're at an university here. Go figure.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums)         Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Re: unsubscribed

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.com>.
/Me laughs

OK - enough! I've had over 30 replies now telling me what it means.

Many thanks to all those linguists, I'm now slightly better educated
in German salutations :-D

Kind regards

Nigel

Re: unsubscribed