Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Kenji Nakamura <na...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/23 21:39:04 UTC

Absolute file path as dependency in plan

Hi,

I'm working on upgrading from M5 to 1.0 release.

For development, I used absolute file URI for dependencies in plans. It
worked well in M5, but got the following error when I deploy in 1.0 release.

deployGBean:
    [java]     No ModuleID or TargetModuleID provided.  Attempting to guess
based
    [java]     on the content of the plan.
    [java]
    [java]     Attempting to use ModuleID 'com/palamida/ipamp/Dispatcher'
    [java]
    [java]     Stopped com/foo/ibar/Dispatcher
    [java]
    [java]     Unloaded com/foo/bar/Dispatcher
    [java]
    [java]     Uninstalled com/foo/bar/Dispatcher
    [java]
    [java]     Error: Operation failed:
    [java]
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.repository.MissingDependencyException:
    [java]     uri
    [java]
file:/Users/kenjin/foo/dev1/engineering/sandbox/kenjin/bar/trunk/modules//dispatcher/target/eclipse-classes/
    [java]     not found in repository
    [java]
    [java]         uri
    [java]
file:/Users/kenjin/foo/dev1/engineering/sandbox/kenjin/bar/trunk/modules//dispatcher/target/eclipse-classes/
    [java]     not found in repository

It was VERY useful with the combination of Eclipse's dynamic code
replacement to reduce the frequency of bouncing Geronimo.
Is it no longer supported?? Is there any other way to specify a directory on
file system as a dependency instead of jars in respository?

The flagment of the plan file looks like this;

<configuration configId="com/foo/bar/Dispatcher" inverseClassloading="false"
xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.0">
  <import>
    <uri>geronimo/j2ee-security/1.0/car</uri>
  </import>

  <dependency>

<uri>file:/Users/kenjin/foo/dev1/engineering/sandbox/kenjin/bar/trunk/modules//dispatcher/target/eclipse-classes/</uri>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>

<uri>file:/Users/kenjin/foo/dev1/engineering/sandbox/kenjin/bar/trunk/modules//dispatcher-api/target/eclipse-classes/</uri>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>

<uri>file:/Users/kenjin/foo/dev1/engineering/sandbox/kenjin/bar/trunk/modules//security/target/eclipse-classes/</uri>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>

<uri>file:/Users/kenjin/foo/dev1/engineering/sandbox/kenjin/bar/trunk/modules//util/target/eclipse-classes/</uri>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>
    <uri>foo/ant-patch/1.5.4-1.0/jar</uri>
  </dependency>

Thanks in advance,

--
Kenj Nakamura

Re: Absolute file path as dependency in plan

Posted by Kenji Nakamura <na...@gmail.com>.
David,

I came up with an idea to use JAR class-path extension mechanism to point
eclipse classes from repository JAR file.
First, create a dummy JAR file containing only a MANIFEST.MF with Class-Path
entries something like this.

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Class-Path: ../../../../../../../modules/dispatcher/target/eclipse-cla
 sses/ ../../../../../../../modules/dispatcher-api/target/eclipse-clas
 ses/ ../../../../../../../modules/security/target/eclipse-classes/ ..
 /../../../../../../modules/util/target/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../.
 ./../../modules/app-core/target/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../../../..
 /modules/workspace-api/target/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../../../../m
 odules/signatures-api/target/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../../../../mo
 dules/codebase/target/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../../../../modules/s
 ignatures/target/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../../../../modules/snapsh
 ot/target/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../../../../modules/locator/targe
 t/eclipse-classes/ ../../../../../../../modules/workspace/target/ecli
 pse-classes/ ../../../../../../../modules/scanner/target/eclipse-clas
 ses/
Created-By: 1.5.0_05 (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Then, deploy the JAR into repository just as same as regular JAR, and point
the file as dependency in plan.xml.
I confirmed the code changes made in Eclipse is reflected simply by
stop/starting the GBean. No need to bounce Geronimo.
If Geronimo is launched in debug mode from Eclipse, dynamic code replacement
may work, I haven't tried though.

The caveat of the approach is the classpath must be relative from the dummy
JAR file, but it should be pretty easy to generate the entry automatically
as a part of building process.

I hope this trick helps for those who're looking for better integration
between Geronimo and Eclipse (or other IDEs).

Thanks,

Kenji

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kenji Nakamura <na...@gmail.com>.