Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/07/19 23:31:56 UTC

So what happens next? Was: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 (apache-flex-sdk-4.8.0-incubating)

Now that we have the votes to release, I think it is time for everyone to
jump in and participate in the next release.

We'll certainly have a few folks finishing up some logistics for the current
release.  Nick is working on a downloads page.  It looks like we have to
prepare an announcement and have it reviewed by Apache PR.

But I think all of you who are committers can now commit stuff to the trunk.
I should note that we are definitely considering creating an "unstable"
branch.  In looking at the other Spark components and features Adobe has to
contribute, they aren't baked enough to want to put into trunk.  It seems
like it would be better to only promote stuff to trunk when we've had time
to bang on it a bit, but whiteboards are too hard to keep track of.  An
unstable branch would be a better proving ground and the place we should
sync to and work in mostly until we think we have enough stuff for a
release, then promote certain things to trunk.

For example, some of the DataGrid column and row locking is not quite ready
and we shouldn't put it in trunk and have to remove it if it isn't ready by
the next release, but if we put it in Carol's whiteboard it probably won't
get tested enough.

Also, it is time to review what we need to do to graduate.  I suppose we
could push for graduation now, but IMO, we should cut another release with
more non-Adobe contributions, and hopefully have a non-Adobe release
manager.  Any volunteers?

I would hope we could get enough contributions in to warrant a release in a
couple of months.  FWIW, I was warned by an Apache VIP that he might remove
committers that were on the initial committers list at graduation if they
haven't committed anything by then.

Thanks everyone for your contributions so far.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: So what happens next? Was: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Flex 4.8.0 (apache-flex-sdk-4.8.0-incubating)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/19/12 2:40 PM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> To add to Alex's list:
>
> Because this was a parity release we got away with not cleaning up JIRA
> and reporting on bug stats in our VOTE emails or in our RELEASE_NOTES.  I
> don't think we'll get away with that again.  We have to figure out how
> we're going to handle JIRA.  I think Bertrand currently owns the majority
> of the new bugs as well as the large number of bugs that came over from
> Adobe.

Good point about JIRA.  I am holding off making changes to it because I
think infra is going to blow it away and start over because of the
attachments issue.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
To add to Alex's list:

Because this was a parity release we got away with not cleaning up JIRA
and reporting on bug stats in our VOTE emails or in our RELEASE_NOTES.  I
don't think we'll get away with that again.  We have to figure out how
we're going to handle JIRA.  I think Bertrand currently owns the majority
of the new bugs as well as the large number of bugs that came over from
Adobe.

Carol