Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2006/07/02 06:51:31 UTC

Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Whoa!

I think we have been operation under a different assumption.  I know I
committed a patch when 1 got 3 committer +1s...  And not even 1 PMC member
looked at it.  And that took over a week to garner enough votes.  Imagine
how long it would take if we had to get 3 PMC +1!  I think we need to clear
this up ASAP!

On 7/1/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> a summary of the discussions should be moved into the JIRA so that
> >> those reviewing the patch have all the information in one place.  It
> >> would also be preferable to add links to the original discussions on
> >> the dev list archives.  The way  we document changes may be subject
> >> to change (e.g. detailed documentation placed in a linked JIRA) based
> >> upon the outcome of the discussions in the thread "[DISCUSS] Tracking
> >> documentation tasks in JIRA ( was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from
> >> the PMC )"
> >>
> >> 2.3 Each PMC member who reviews the patch attached to the JIRA must
> >> do the following:
> >>     * Add a JIRA comment containing the file name of the patch they
> >> reviewed.  This is so there is no confusion if there ends up being
> >> multiple revisions of the patch when collating votes.
> >>    * In the JIRA comment add the results of their review (e.g.
> >> comments or a vote).  If a PMC member vetos the patch, they must
> >> include a technical justification in their JIRA comments.  I propose
> >> that when there is a veto that we leave the status as
> >> "review-required", as others may still want to vote and so that the
> >> patch remains getting daily visibility in the "JIRAs Pending Review"
> >> daily email (proposed below).  The committer can then re-submit
> >> another patch (where the patch filename has the version number bumped
> >> up)
> A committer could veto, but it wouldn't be binding, so the above
> paragraph should probably be changed to:
>
> * In the JIRA comment add the results of their review (e.g. comments or
> a vote).  If a committer vetos the patch (note that only PMC votes are
> binding), they must include a technical justification in their JIRA
> comments.  I propose that when there is a veto that we leave the status
> as "review-required", as others may still want to vote and so that the
> patch remains getting daily visibility in the "JIRAs Pending Review"
> daily email (proposed below).  The committer can then re-submit another
> patch (where the patch filename has the version number bumped up)
>
> >>     * If a PMC member is the person who completes the vote ( three
> >> binding +1s and no vetos) for the latest version of the patch then
> >> they should change the status to "review-complete".
> >>
> >> 3. Non-committers who submit patches will not be able to set this
> >> status.  A committer needs to pick up their patch and test it
> >> (possibly making changes to the patch).  When the patch is ready the
> >> committer then sets the "review-required" status.
> >>
> >> 4. Have a daily email automatically sent to the dev list containing
> >> JIRA's pending review.  It appears this should be easy to implement
> >> as it would be a variation of the weekly "Unassigned Patches" reports
> >> that are currently in place.
> >> I would be interested in your comments Jason, as you are more
> >> familiar with customizing JIRA.
> >>
> >> If this proposal is accepted I will document it as part of the work I
> >> plan to do to document the use of JIRA in

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/2/06, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> If the PMC interpretation stands, does that mean the only privileges
> of a committer who's not on the PMC are to commit bug fixes?

Yes. That's why I and other think it's so painful and *may* slow down
development, but at the same increase mailing list communication thus
increase overall understanding of Geronimo.

>     Aaron

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
If the PMC interpretation stands, does that mean the only privileges
of a committer who's not on the PMC are to commit bug fixes?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
whew... thanks for clearing that up Matt!

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
David,

I will ensure this gets followed up by Ken.  CCing the PMC.

Regards,
John

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/5/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not to insult any pmc members, but it appears that this is an issue
> on which the PMC has absolutely no input.  As such, it is difficult
> for me to trust comments on this issue from anyone other than Ken.

I couldn't have expressed it clearer! That's how it turned out to me
as well, so I'll await Ken's comment/explanation on it. Thanks Dave
for such a clear statement. It's sad, but the more we talk about it
the more visible it is to me. Having said/read this, I should no
longer be connected to the actions wrt RTC, ok? (uff, much much better
now! Thanks Dave).

> david jencks

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/5/06, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@golux.com> wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
> > Sometime later ken appears
> > to have commmented on this policy with an interpretation that is
> > radically different from the original very clear statement with an
> > comment deep in a thread.  Personally I find that rather ambiguous.
>
> Appropriately so.  I failed to explain the reason for the
> change.  I apologise.
>
> > Not to insult any pmc members, but it appears that this is an issue
> > on which the PMC has absolutely no input.
>
> Not correct.
>
> > As such, it is difficult
> > for me to trust comments on this issue from anyone other than Ken.
>
> Trust, or consider authoritative?

Thanks Ken for coming over - we all missed you much! ;-)

> #ken    P-|}

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jul 2, 2006, at 12:43 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On 7/2/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>> Whoa!
>>
>> I think we have been operation under a different assumption.  I
>> know I
>> committed a patch when 1 got 3 committer +1s...  And not even 1
>> PMC member
>> looked at it.  And that took over a week to garner enough votes.
>> Imagine
>> how long it would take if we had to get 3 PMC +1!  I think we need
>> to clear
>> this up ASAP!
>
> It's been cleared up for some time, imho. We can do two things to work
> it out in a gentle manner:
>
> 1/ Be more active and describe the change so that not only are
> developers encouraged to test it out or even PMCers. Why is it that
> only committers and PMCers vote? Is the description of the change not
> easy to understand enough? I wonder what makes them unattractive for
> lurkers?
>
> 2/ Be more active and gain a PMC nomination so the number of PMCers
> increases.

3/ Be more active if you are a PMC member.

And, yes, I agree with all three and also concur that as everyone has
limited bandwidth to dedicate to all three.  You're right, we
shouldn't just do what is easiest for us.

-David

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On 7/2/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>> Whoa!
>>
>> I think we have been operation under a different assumption.  I know I
>> committed a patch when 1 got 3 committer +1s...  And not even 1 PMC
>> member
>> looked at it.  And that took over a week to garner enough votes.
>> Imagine
>> how long it would take if we had to get 3 PMC +1!  I think we need to
>> clear
>> this up ASAP!
>
> It's been cleared up for some time, imho. We can do two things to work
> it out in a gentle manner:
I disagree that it has been cleared up for some time.  The fact that
only PMC members votes count is certainly new news to me.  I've already
committed one back of changes improperly, based on receiving 4 +1 votes
that apparantly don't count.  I've got 2 more [RTC] reviews pending
where 2 people have taken the time to test and vote on my patches, only
to now discover that their votes don't count, so they were essentially
wasting their time.  These patches have been sitting in [RTC] for 10
days now, I've only seen activity from 1 PMC member so far at looking at
these.

> 1/ Be more active and describe the change so that not only are
> developers encouraged to test it out or even PMCers. Why is it that
> only committers and PMCers vote? Is the description of the change not
> easy to understand enough? I wonder what makes them unattractive for
> lurkers?
>
> 2/ Be more active and gain a PMC nomination so the number of PMCers
> increases.
And that sounds like a path to do nothing but spending your time testing
and voting on others patches, and not getting to spend any time working
on stuff that interests you.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> Sadly, I think RTC is shifting Geronimo from being a meritocracy to
> being a bureaucracy.

I completely agree with this statement.

> And only things get done if you have friends in the PMC.  I've seen
> several folks say RTC "Has been as success", and while yes, it has
> increased communicatio, If you look back and try to compare what's
> been committed to SVN against what has passed in RTC with 3 PMC
> votes I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find alot of examples of
> "success".

And this too.

> I think RTC would be fine IF current implementation were slightly
> tweaked to only require: 3 1+ from committers saying, yeah I think
> that patch is a good idea. Notice the requirement for testing the
> patch is gone.  The requirement or PMC member is gone.  This would
> still generate all the discussion that we are seeing on the lists,
> but now you at least have CHANCE of moving forward with a change.

And I completely agree with this too.

--jason

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi Jacek,

On 7/2/06, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:

> On 7/2/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > Whoa!
> >
> > I think we have been operation under a different assumption.  I know I
> > committed a patch when 1 got 3 committer +1s...  And not even 1 PMC
> member
> > looked at it.  And that took over a week to garner enough
> votes.  Imagine
> > how long it would take if we had to get 3 PMC +1!  I think we need to
> clear
> > this up ASAP!
>
> It's been cleared up for some time, imho. We can do two things to work
> it out in a gentle manner:
>
> 1/ Be more active and describe the change so that not only are
> developers encouraged to test it out or even PMCers. Why is it that
> only committers and PMCers vote? Is the description of the change not
> easy to understand enough? I wonder what makes them unattractive for
> lurkers?

If you want to review the mail thread that I started a while back, you'll
see that it was a simple migration of code from ActiveMQ to Geronimo.  I
posted multiple times to garner support.  Sadly, I think RTC is shifting
Geronimo from being a meritocracy to being a bureaucracy.  And only things
get done if you have friends in the PMC.  I've seen several folks say RTC
"Has been as success", and while yes, it has increased communicatio, If you
look back and try to compare what's been committed to SVN against what has
passed in RTC with 3 PMC votes I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find alot
of examples of "success".

2/ Be more active and gain a PMC nomination so the number of PMCers
> increases.
>
> They seem to be obvious things, but in RTC mode we operate nothing's
> as obvious as it was. We all learn RTC and with no other projects

Since I previously was on the PMC due to starting Geronimo and actively work
on it and getting it past the CTS testing, excuse me if I think I have all
ready have shown this project that I'm a responsible community member.
Unfortunately, I don't have 8 hours a day to devote to Geronimo anymore but
I don't think that should be held against any PMCer.

operating in RTC we're pioneers. With a limited bandwidth I've got I'm
> quite certain I'll work on patches that are easy to grasp and have
> extensive documentation behind them. Of course, the more talk about it
> in the dev mailing list the better as it will spur my interest in
> testing.

I know you would never think something like this, but I could see how
"spurring interest" could rapidly degenerate to hiring 3 PMC folks on
consulting time.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> 1/ Be more active and describe the change so that not only are
> developers encouraged to test it out or even PMCers. Why is it that
> only committers and PMCers vote? Is the description of the change not
> easy to understand enough? I wonder what makes them unattractive for
> lurkers?

This is an interesting question that I've been mulling over for some
time.  I think that it's due, in no small part, to the tradition of
tallying what votes are binding and what votes are not.  Some projects
don't even bother to tally non-binding votes.

I, myself, use to vote on a few projects and got discouraged when my
vote was publicly tallied as "not mattering"; I now don't bother.

During my short tenor of a few years here at ASF as a committer and PMC
member of many projects, I have never seen a vote tallied where it was
necessary to point out the votes that "mattered".  This was due to the
fact that a consensus was usually formed by discussion before the vote
took place.  I think that as a rule, we shouldn't bother to delineate
voting classes unless it was necessary to break an impasse.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.