Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt Summers <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/01 03:59:27 UTC

Malformed File, svn verify OK

I'm trying to commit my working copy to the repository, but it fails with
the message "Malformed file."  I thought "svnadmin verify" would explain the
problem, but it simply iterates to each revision X (from 1 till the last
checkin/current) and says "Verified revision X"

How do I diagnose and fix the problem?

Re: Any surveys of usage of Subversion vs. all the others?

Posted by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com>.
At 12:15 PM 2/3/2007, Steve Bakke wrote:

<SB>>>>>If he's sending you emails like that, then no amount of
propaganda will convince him to accept subversion.  He's apparently
already made up his mind.<<<<<

Pretty much.  I have to keep trying, though.  :-(

<SB>>>>>if somehow you were to set him up so that all of his files
had needs-lock to prevent merging and concurrent editing would that
make him any happier?<<<<<

Perhaps, but probably not sufficiently so.  He is convinced that
Subversion is little more than a toy that no _serious_ development
effort in its collective right mind should be using (constant and
widespread evidence to the contrary notwithstanding).

'Tis surely a quixotic quest upon which I embark, but hey, what the
hell, may as well keep plugging away at it... :-\

Some sort of a market share survey (or bake-off magazine article, as
I asked about in my other email to this list today) might at least
make it impractical for him to keep trying, with a straight face, to
characterize Subversion as a toy.  Or, maybe not... :-(

Re: Any surveys of usage of Subversion vs. all the others?

Posted by Steve Bakke <st...@amd.com>.
If he's sending you emails like that, then no amount of propaganda will
convince him to accept subversion.  He's apparently already made up his
mind.

One question - if somehow you were to set him up so that all of his files
had needs-lock to prevent merging and concurrent editing would that make him
any happier? (not that other folks on the same project would like it...)

-Steve

Posted by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com>.
At 10:35 PM 2/5/2007, Janine Sisk wrote:

<JS>>>>>Each time I read Eric's posts about this guy I wonder "where
is his manager?".  Unless he is single-handedly responsible for some
big chunk of the company's bottom line, he should not be allowed to
behave like this.  Have you made sure that his boss, and yours, are
aware of his obstructionist ways?<<<<<

Good morning, Janine.

Yeah, well, therein lies the problem.

He is one of the principals of the company, and so he has no manager.

There's nothing much to do except try to work around it to the extent possible.

RE: Re: Any surveys of usage of Subversion vs. all the others?

Posted by "Bolstridge, Andrew" <an...@intergraph.com>.
> just forgot to add. as eric mentions, it would be helpful to have a
public and
> acknowledged list of companies who use svn. that is one of the things
he uses against
> the change. this would be a major motivation to convince the (dilbert
principle) guy
> who takes this kind of decisions without having an idea, and that
relies mainly on
> what is mainstream and what is not.

Are you sure he's doing that? There are often good reasons to go with
the mainstream, business users are taught in those management training
courses all about early adopters and risk management and so on. Don't
underestimate your opponent just because you think he's technically
ignorant.

> perhaps, it would be easier to list companies who still don't use svn

I doubt it somehow... Unless you have a lot of webspace to hold it, and
a lot of time to devote to updating it. Users are coming and going all
the time, so any list that was compiled would be permanently out of
date, Maybe a list of 'high profile' companies that use it would be best
(and easiest to manage :) )

For subversion advocacy, why not create the old comparison matrix
showing the good and bad features of VSS v SVN (and all the other ones).
Obviously this will show up the shortcomings of subversion but that too
is a good thing if said shortcomings get resolved, or for people for who
those issues are a very big deal (don't want them using svn if its not
suitable for them)(I'll help with this as we're thinking of converting
from VSS to SVN at the moment)

Other advocacy tactics to use are to set up a pilot study (which will
only come up with a comparison matrix anyway - see above to help shorten
this), or to use it for one team (effectively the same as the pilot), or
to run it side-by-side with the old system for a while.

Re: Any surveys of usage of Subversion vs. all the others?

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
just forgot to add. as eric mentions, it would be
helpful to have a public and acknowledged list of
companies who use svn. that is one of the things
he uses against the change. this would be a
major motivation to convince the (dilbert principle)
guy who takes this kind of decisions without
having an idea, and that relies mainly on what
is mainstream and what is not.

on that behalf, i said that most major companies
do. by monitoring the email addresses of posters
to this list you get an idea. i mentioned on my
proposal that google is partially sponsoring
svn development (besides using it).

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Janine Sisk <ja...@furfly.net>.

Posted by "L. Wayne Johnson" <wa...@zk.com>.
>> I got another email today from one of our users (the one who hates
>> global revving and directory-based checkouts and refuses to use the
>> checkout-modify-merge model and wants us to change to VSS) asking
>> when we were going to get a "real" revision control system.
>>
>> Not that it would change his mind but it would help ME if I had a
>> website I could point people to that shows, in any kind of even
>> marginally-authoritative form, what the Subversion market share is
>> relative to all the others.

I don't know how to change his mind about subversion but, have him Google
for 'vss problems'. If after looking the results over he *still* want to use
vss then I don't know what to tell you.

The bottom line is Visual Source Safe is *not* *safe*. I have used it at
another company and we had nothing but problems with it. You might also note
that Microsoft has developed a new version control system. I doubt they are
going to maintain Visual Source Safe.

Any surveys of usage of Subversion vs. all the others?

Re: Malformed File, svn verify OK

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
----- Matt Summers <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to commit my working copy to the repository, but it fails
> with the message "Malformed file." I thought "svnadmin verify" would
> explain the problem, but it simply iterates to each revision X (from 1
> till the last checkin/current) and says "Verified revision X"
>
> How do I diagnose and fix the problem?

The only places in code where I see you can get this error, and no other useful information, is in subversion/libsvn_subr/hash.c.  Hashes are used in the repository, the working copy, and in configuration files (storing password information, etc).  So it's likely that something is wrong in your working copy, or one of your configuration files.

Is it possible to run something like strace to see which file the code is failing on?

-John