Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2007/08/21 18:17:20 UTC

[Vote] Accept Sanselan for incubation

The proposal is nearly unchanged from the original submission.  Full
text is attached below. (or you can find it at the wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SanselanProposal)

Please cast your votes:

[  ] +1  Accept this project into the incubator
[  ] -1   No, because....

Thanks
Carsten

--------
Proposal Draft
--------------

= Sanselan, a Pure-Java Image Library =

=== Abstract ===

Sanselan is a pure-java image library for reading and writing a variety
of image formats.

=== Proposal ===

The sanselan image libary will provide a portable toolkit for reading
and writing a variety of image formats. This includes parsing of the
image info (size, color space, icc profile etc.), metadata (ie. EXIF)
and image data.

Common operations (such as reading an image) should be simple and
require little code, but every operation should also allow
fine-grained control through optional arguments.

Correctness is preferred over performance.  Completeness (ie. support
of all features/variations of the image file formats) is preferred.
Flexibility (ie. ability to treat files, byte arrays and input streams
interchangeably) is preferred.

Though hiding the differences between the file formats in common
usage, the library should also provide the means to explore the
internals of the file formats (for example, what jfif segments or png
chunks are present).

=== Background ===

The initial work on Sanselan was begun in 2004 by Charles M. Chen, and
was open sourced soon after.  Much of the code was finished by the end
of 2004, and work since then has been primarily been bug fixes,
simplification of the API, and addition of optional parameters to
allow finer-grained control.

Since its release, Sanselan has been used by a variety of projects
from around the world.

Definitions:

  In the context of Sanselan, "Image Info" refers to things like
  image size, bits per pixel, color space, transparency, etc. "Image
  Metadata" refers to structured metadata (ie. EXIF) embedded in an
  image format (ie. JFIF), for example, Geocoding, time taken, encoder
  info, etc. "Image Data" refers to the raw data that is interpreted to
  decode pixel info.

=== Rationale ===

There are many libraries dealing with image formats in the Java World,
but still, each of them has problems when it comes to portability,
specification conformance and functionality. Some of the libraries
require non-portable native-code, others support reading of specific
formats but not writing etc.

Sanselan offers all of the following for its core file formats:

 a. file format identification.
 a. fast extraction of image info (such as size, color type, etc.) in a
format-neutral structure, without reading the image data.
 a. extraction of icc profiles without reading image data.
 a. extraction of image metadata without reading image data.
 a. simple, concise syntax for common usages.
 a. optional fine-grained control over reading and writing images.
 a. color-correctness by applying icc profile, gamma and color space
color metadata.
 a. reading and writing images.

For those formats which Sanselan cannot read & write image data (ie.
jpeg/jfif, photoshop/psd and windows icon/ico), Sanselan can still
read image info and metadata.

Sanselan's code will be available under the flexible Apache license.

The Sanselan project attempts to streamline this duplication of efforts.
We believe that by starting the Sanselan project with an existing
codebase, this will create a library without the defects mentioned above
and might also create enough interest and tension to draw in other image
libraries/code to get an even bigger functionality set.

=== Initial Goals ===

The initial goals of the proposed project are:

 * Viable community around the Sanselan codebase
 * Active relationships and possible cooperation with related projects
and communities
 * Initial generic code base dealing with image formats and metadata
 * Implementation of a variety of image formats.

== Current Status ==

The current code base has been developed my Charles M. Chen
(http://www.fightingquaker.com/sanselan/) in his spare time. It
provides a very good
basis. The code has to be (and will be) donated to Apache by Charles.
It is already licensed under the Apache 2.0 license.
The further development will be based on this code base taking it
wherever the community wants it to be.

The project has been refactored to remove any external dependencies.
It has been loosely tested, and deployed in a variety of production
environments.

No patent issues obtain.  The file formats in question are well
documented and stable.

=== Meritocracy ===

All the initial committers are familiar with the meritocracy principles
of Apache, and have already worked on the various source codebases. We
will follow the normal meritocracy rules also with other potential
contributors.

=== Community ===

There is not yet a clear Sanselan community. The current code base has a
number of interested users. The primary goal of the incubating project is
to build a self-sustaining community around this code base.

=== Core Developers ===

The initial set of developers comes from various backgrounds, with
different but compatible needs for the proposed project.

Charles Chen has written all of the current code in the project,
though others have helped point out specific bugs.  Charles continues
to patch bugs as he becomes aware of them, as well as continuing work
on improving the API.

=== Alignment ===

Apache contributes a strong development environment together with a
solid brand to help make this project a success. There are several
existing libraries, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
Bringing the project to Apache will help gather the community around a
single project.

There will also be connections to existing Apache projects like the Tika
project and perhaps commons.

== Known Risks ==

By adopting this project, the Apache project would place itself in
implicit competition with the other available image libraries.

=== Orphaned products ===

There is a high need in quality image libraries for Java. Sanselan
currently has a strong user base and among this user base is a very
strong interest in this project.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

The project's original developer, Charles Chen, has contributed in
small ways to open source projects for years.  However, he has never
been actively involved in an open source project with a thriving
community and doesn't have any experience in fostering or coordinating
such a community.

The other developers have a big experience with open source projects,
especially with Apache projects and are long time users of Sanselan.
However, we look forward to cultivating that community under the
guidance of the Apache organization.

=== Homogenous Developers ===

We will see...  :)

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

Actually, no one is paid to work on this project.  Charles Chen has
continued to work on this project for 3 years without being paid.

Some of the developers are paid to work on this or related projects, but
the proposed project is not the primary task for anyone.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

Sanselan is related to at least the following Apache projects. None of
the projects is a direct competitor for Sanselan.

 *  [http://incubator.apache.org/tika/ Apache Tika] - Tika provides a
framework to extract metadata out of documents. The plan is to develop
Tika parsers using Sanselan.
 *  [http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/ Apache XML Graphics] - Batik and FOP
both make extensive use of image libraries. The Commons subproject even
contains some image codecs.
 *  [http://harmony.apache.org/ Apache Harmony] - The ImageIO API is
part of the class library and Harmony has to provide implementations
(currently only JPEG?).

=== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

All of us are familiar with Apache and we have participated in Apache
projects as contributors, committers, and PMC members. We feel that the
Apache Software Foundation is a natural home for a project like this.

== Documentation ==

 * Sanselan (http://www.fightingquaker.com/sanselan/)

== Initial Source ==

Sanselan will start with the contributed code base:

 * The [http://www.fightingquaker.com/sanselan/ Sanselan] project

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

All seed code and other contributions will be handled through the normal
Apache contribution process.

We will also contact other related efforts for possible cooperation and
contributions.

== External Dependencies ==

None.

== Cryptography ==

Sanselan itself will not use cryptography, but it is possible that at a
later time support for image formats
is developed that requires cryptography. Currently there is no such
support/code.

== Required Resources ==

Mailing lists

 * sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org
 * sanselan-commits@incubator.apache.org
 * sanselan-private@incubator.apache.org

Subversion Directory

 * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sanselan

Issue Tracking

 * JIRA Sanselan (SANSELAN)

Other Resources

 * none

== Initial Committers ==

|| '''Name'''        || '''Email'''                              ||
'''CLA'''        ||
|| Charles M. Chen   || charlesmchen at gmail dot com            || no
|| Carsten Ziegeler  || cziegeler at apache dot org              || yes
|| Philipp Koch      || pkoch at day dot com                     || no

== Affiliations ==

|| '''Name'''        || '''Affiliation'''                         ||
|| Charles M. Chen   || -   ||
|| Carsten Ziegeler  || [http://www.day.com/ Day Management AG]   ||
|| Philipp Koch      || [http://www.day.com/ Day Management AG]   ||

== Sponsors ==

Champion

 * Carsten Ziegeler (cziegeler at apache dot org)

Nominated Mentors

 * Craig Russell (clr@apache.org)
 * Yoav Shapira (yoavs[at\a.o)
 * Jeremias Maerki (jeremias@a.o, not available before Oct 2007)
 * others TBD

Sponsoring Entity

 * We are asking the Incubator PMC to sponsor this proposal.

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [Vote] Accept Sanselan for incubation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 8/21/07, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> [ X ] +1  Accept this project into the incubator

-- Bertrand

Re: [Vote] Accept Sanselan for incubation

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
nice. +1

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 18:17 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> [...]
> || Carsten Ziegeler  || cziegeler at apache dot org              || yes
> || Philipp Koch      || pkoch at day dot com                     || no
>

> == Affiliations ==
>
> || '''Name'''        || '''Affiliation'''                         ||
> || Charles M. Chen   || -   ||
> || Carsten Ziegeler  || [http://www.day.com/ Day Management AG]   ||
> || Philipp Koch      || [http://www.day.com/ Day Management AG]   ||
>
> == Sponsors ==
>
> Champion
>
>  * Carsten Ziegeler (cziegeler at apache dot org)
>
> Nominated Mentors
>
>  * Craig Russell (clr@apache.org)
>  * Yoav Shapira (yoavs[at\a.o)
>  * Jeremias Maerki (jeremias@a.o, not available before Oct 2007)
>  * others TBD
>
> Sponsoring Entity
>
>  * We are asking the Incubator PMC to sponsor this proposal.

Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine guy     |rwc
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

Re: [Vote] Accept Sanselan for incubation

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1  Accept this project into the incubator

Martijn
--
Wicket joins the Apache Software Foundation as Apache Wicket
Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta2 is released

Re: [Vote] Accept Sanselan for incubation

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Craig

On Aug 21, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1  Accept this project into the incubator
> [  ] -1   No, because....
>
> Thanks
> Carsten
>
> --------
> Proposal Draft
> --------------
>

> = Sanselan, a Pure-Java Image Library =

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [Vote] Accept Sanselan for incubation

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Carsten Ziegeler schrieb:
> The proposal is nearly unchanged from the original submission.  Full
> text is attached below. (or you can find it at the wiki at
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SanselanProposal)
>
> Please cast your votes:

+1

Christian

Re: [Vote] Accept Sanselan for incubation

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Just wanted to make that clear, to avoid any CXF-like
confusion :)

+1

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.