Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Sozonoff <se...@globalbeach.com> on 2003/01/19 21:50:57 UTC

[Proposal] FetchPOP --> Fetch

Hi guys,

After an email exchange with Leo, we would like to work on a new version of
FetchPOP in the proposals area and then move it into a futur release of
James when it is ready.

One of the main goals is to make full use of JavaMail so that we can take
advatage of the various Javamail service providers.

We would also like to rename FetchPOP to something else, maye just call it
Fetch.

Thanks,
Sergei

Re: [Proposal] FetchPOP --> Fetch

Posted by Josip Almasi <jo...@vrspace.org>.
Leo D'Angelo wrote:

> I was also thinking about FetchMail.  The one thing that tripped me up is
> that there is an nntp transport available...  I thought someone could use
> this as a "news feeder" as well...  Any thoughts?

A lot:)
I'd like to provide ML archive via nntp, read-only. Because the search
engine can return news url.

Regards,
Josip

RE: [Proposal] FetchPOP --> Fetch

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what is happening with the new Fetch[Message|Mail|Whatever]
service.  I was under the impression that it was coming soon, and included
Sergei's changes, so I didn't merge Sergei's patch to FetchPOP.

As you've likely seen on the mailing list, discussion seems to be converging
on using JavaMail for message stores, so between the fetcher, IMAP and the
message stores, we should be seeing a lot more use of JavaMail in James.  I
just wrote an e-mail to Chris Burdess asking about his JavaMail providers.

So if this thing is reasonable stable, I'd like to see about getting it into
HEAD.  People who need the really stable tested code should be living out of
the v2.1 branch, anyway, right now.

By the way, please take a look at this message on james-user@ from Sami
Siren, who packaged a fetch for DAV mail:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=james-user@jakarta.apach
e.org&msgId=548521

Seems to me that you'd want to subsume that code and config into the general
fetcher service.

	--- Noel

Posted by Leo D'Angelo <ld...@mac.com>.
Hi All,