Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org> on 2008/10/07 04:04:36 UTC

Re: Is it Possible to Update Inheritance Hierarchies?

Hi Cleverson,

Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Considerer the following hierarchy:
>
> Person <- Employee <- Boss
>
> Each class is maped to a distinct table (Mapping Classes on Multiple Joined
> Tables)
> In this case, if I create an employee, two records are persisted in the DB
> (1 person and 1 employee). What if this employee is promoted to a boss? How
> can we update the hierarchy including just 1 new record at the end of the
> chain? I've tried, but the whole chain is created again. Is it possible to
> instruct OJB to just "append" 1 record at the Boss table?

Sorry no! It's a new Boss object, so OJB creates the whole hierarchy
with the new Boss object identity.

regards,
Armin

Posted by Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Armin!

Just for the record in the case someone faces the same issue.
I changed the Boss class to just hold a FK to the Employee table and there
is no "extends" relationship anymore between Boss and Employee. Now I can
create just the Boss object and attach it to an existing Employee.

Cleverson Schmidt