Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com> on 2013/11/12 00:05:40 UTC

https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/NodeInspector

I’ve added a short page for NodeInspector…

I’m not sure where it should be referenced. Hopefully it will be of some assistance…

Re: https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/NodeInspector

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
>From https://github.com/node-inspector/node-inspector README:

"Overview

Node Inspector is a debugger interface for node.js using the Blink
Developer Tools (former WebKit Web Inspector)."

Basically it lets you use the same JavaScript developer tools built in to
chrome that you would use to debug a website to debug you node app.

The somewhat oversimplified steps are:
1. start your node app in debug mode (with optional flag to start "paused"
so you can debug startup)
2. run the node-inspector daemon
3. visit a special URL in chrome which will allow you to attach a remote
debugger to any running debug node app

Sadly the current version of node/node-inspector do not support profiling
(they did a long time ago) and node-webkit-agent (
https://github.com/c4milo/node-webkit-agent) which sorta kinda works for
profiling didn't lead to any interesting conclusions when I tried it (~98%
of run-time was uncategorized).

Posted by "Wargo, John" <jo...@sap.com>.
What does the node inspector do? I couldn't tell from the site.

+1 To add Wiki, I see that is already linked from "Working on issue"

 Once I discover node inspector made CLI development and debugging much
easier.

Maybe adding to the README of CLI and Plugman under a section "Testing and
Debugging" (i.e. run npm install & npm test & use node-inspector for
further debugging)

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com> wrote:

> I've added a short page for NodeInspector...
>
> I'm not sure where it should be referenced. Hopefully it will be of some
> assistance...

Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/NodeInspector

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1 To add Wiki, I see that is already linked from "Working on issue"

 Once I discover node inspector made CLI development and debugging much
easier.

Maybe adding to the README of CLI and Plugman under a section "Testing and
Debugging" (i.e. run npm install & npm test & use node-inspector for
further debugging)

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com> wrote:

> I’ve added a short page for NodeInspector…
>
> I’m not sure where it should be referenced. Hopefully it will be of some
> assistance…

Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>