Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Michael Hüttermann <mi...@huettermann.net> on 2009/02/06 18:55:07 UTC

Error: 'null' for project unknown

Hello,

I'm doing a "mvn clean" inside a project and get the message:
Fatal Error
Error building POM (may not be this project's POM)
Project ID: unknown
Reason: Failed to build model from file: C:\...\pom.xml.
Error: 'null' for project unknown

The Trace delivers an error at
org.apache.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:378)

Strange is that on one machine the project can be cleaned as expected and
on the other the problem above arises. The system environments are the
same, i.e. other projects can be build without any problems.

What can be the problem? When does the described error pop up normally?
Any experiences?

Thank you!

Best regards
Michael

Re: Error: 'null' for project unknown

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
The Maven source code does not provide much information around the
exception in this line of source. Can you provide the entire
stacktrace using an online service like www.pastebin.com, and then
send the URL to the paste to this list? (Do NOT send the stacktrace
directly to this list.)

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/components/branches/maven-2.0.x/maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/DefaultMaven.java?annotate=688884

If you have a corrupt or not well-formed pom.xml file in a module
(child, grandchild, etc) it might cause this exception. Are you sure
all the pom.xml files are identical across all modules in this
project, on both machines? Are they both running Windows and the same
JDK etc? They must be some difference that explains the exception.
(I've never seen this myself, that I can recall...)

Wayne

Posted by Michael Hüttermann <mi...@huettermann.net>.
Hello Maven gurus,