Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Fred B <fr...@hotmail.com> on 2001/10/24 22:30:29 UTC

documentation/8610: Nested server-side include documentation needs clarification.

>Number:         8610
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       Nested server-side include documentation needs clarification.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

When doing server-side includes using the "file" or "virtual" directive, e.g.

<!--#include virtual="stupidname.txt"" -->

Any file extension may be used. In the above example, I used ".txt"

HOWEVER, if you want to do *nested* includes, the file
name MUST have the ".shtml" extension, e.g.

<!--#include virtual="stupidname.shtml"" -->

Inside of stupidname.shtml, you might have another include which
also must end in ".shtml", e.g.

<!--#include virtual="insidestupid.shtml"" -->

This clarification is important because some web servers,
like MS IIS, let you use other extensions, such as ".stm"
for nested SSI's. Also, the fact that you can use any
file extension for regular SSI's, but must use ".shtml"
for nested SSI's, needs to be spelled out in the docs.

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]