Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2004/09/25 14:28:29 UTC

Block deployer - first draft in SVN

In http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/block-deployer
(don't know why there are no commit messages - maybe they will be sent
later ...) I started to implement the block deployer library. I want to
share my work in this early stage to make it possible for others to
review and join my efforts.

This library is currently only used in a few JUnit tests but in the
future it can (and hopefully will) be the base for all deployment tools
like a command line deployer, an Ant task, an Eclipse wizard, a
deployment server application, ...

Some (random) information:

- Any feedback is welcome!

- Any contributions are welcome! This is NOT my personal
   project.

- I use this project to learn more about unit testing
   and so (nearly) the complete API is covered by unit tests
   based on Junit and Easymock.

   If you check-in code make sure that you do not break
   the unit tests! Simply run "ant junit" (make sure
   that you put junit.jar into your ant/lib directory)

   If you write Unit tests pls use Easymock instead of
   writing mock classes.

- I want to support Java 1.3 because I don't see any
   reason why it shouldn't be possible. Altough I use
   Java 1.4 I will check now and then
   whether it still compiles and runs with JDK 1.3.

- If somebody wants to join and doesn't know what he can
   do, writing the command line client (which probably
   covers large parts of the Ant task) would be a good
   starting point.

- Building the docs with Forrest (revision 47089 which
   is a checkout from a few days ago) works well for me.

- .project and .classpath  should make an import in Eclipse
   easy.

--
Reinhard

Re: Block deployer - first draft in SVN

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 26 Sep 2004, at 11:00, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the Block interface:
>>
>> public interface Block {
>>     public InputStream getInputStream() throws IOException;
>>     public RemoteBlock getRemoteBlock();
>> }
>>
>> Why does it expose an InputStream???
>

> Hmm, I wrote this a long time ago and haven't had reached the point
> yet to write the implementation. My goal is having a "light" version
> of a block to get access to its meta data (RemoteBlock) and I need
> access to the block as binary. Streams and Java is _not_ a strengh of
> mine and before I'm going to implement it, I will read (again) about
> streams to learn what's the best object to be returned. Any
> suggestions? ;-)

Yeah, come to the Ghetto-Gather! :-P

Informally, people, I wanted to have a quite-wide round table about
blocks... Stefano had an idea about I2OC (roughly - very roughly -
outlined here
<http://www.betaversion.org/wiki/display/Pier/2004/09/05/
Inverting+Inversion+of+Control> - hmpf, yeah, I do have a blog!) which
scares the bejesus out of me, but at the same time is so intriguing.

And I'd like to have a chat over beers on it...

	Pier

Re: Block deployer - first draft in SVN

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.