Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com> on 2006/08/22 03:30:16 UTC

[users@httpd] apache with mod_wl strips Content-type header value on 202 response from WLS

Hi all,

I'm setting up an apache box to give us some additional configuration
options between our load balancer and weblogic.  Most of this is going
to plan but yesterday someone pointed out that for 202 responses
apache is returning an empty Content-type header.

When I make the request directly to WL I get this response:

HTTP/1.1 202 Accepted
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 01:24:48 GMT
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Connection: Close

but when I make it against apache I get this:

HTTP/1.1 202 Accepted
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 01:24:34 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat)
Connection: close

Whilst I'm not sure this is really a problem, I would like to
understand what is going on and why I'm seeing this behaviour.  This
is using apache 2.0.52 running on RH WS 4 update 1 against Weblogic
Server 9.1.

Has anyone seen something like this, either with WLS or in relation to
other servers?

cheers
dim

Re: [users@httpd] apache with mod_wl strips Content-type header value on 202 response from WLS

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com>.
For the archives:

On 8/22/06, Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com> wrote:

> It could of course be a bug in mod_wl.

Turns out this was a bug in mod_wl - I've upgraded to the newer
version and its fixed there (8.1 SP5 was the fixed version
apparently).

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com>.
On 8/22/06, Alexander Lazic <al...@none.at> wrote:
> >Unfortunately 2.2 isn't supported by mod_wl although I've been starting
> >to wonder what it is I'm getting out of mod_wl rather than using
> >mod_proxy.  Any other mod_wl users out there have thoughts on this?
>
> Yep but not yet testet :-(
>
> What you then also need is the balancer to reproduce the balancing
> which, sometimes wl do ;-)
>
> On the dev-list i think someone have wrote that the session-stickieness
> doesn't work as documented, might be right or not, can a developer make
> a statment to this issue, please ;-)

We're not even using it for load balancing - its merely a proxy
between an alteon load balancer and WLS.  Why would we do this?
Because we got sick of the limitations of the alteon in relation to
layer 7 rules.  So we now have the alteon doing simple load balancing,
apache doing layer 7 rewrites and access rules, and WLS serving
content.  A bit heavy handed I know, but after 2+ years of pain with
the alteon (and Fujitsu who are supposed to support it but are
incompetent), we've given up and decided to stick apache in there.

Having said all that, I'd still be interested to hear from any
developers as to where I should be looking for this Content-type
issue.

Posted by Alexander Lazic <al...@none.at>.
On Die 22.08.2006 13:27, Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
>On 8/22/06, Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> wrote:
>
>>Smells of bug (unless of course it's confusion on your end).  But
>>2.0.46 is very old.  Have you tried a more recent version (preferably
>>2.2 , where there are quite a few proxy changes)?
>
>Unfortunately 2.2 isn't supported by mod_wl although I've been starting
>to wonder what it is I'm getting out of mod_wl rather than using
>mod_proxy.  Any other mod_wl users out there have thoughts on this?

Yep but not yet testet :-(

What you then also need is the balancer to reproduce the balancing
which, sometimes wl do ;-)

On the dev-list i think someone have wrote that the session-stickieness
doesn't work as documented, might be right or not, can a developer make
a statment to this issue, please ;-)

regards

Alex

Re: [users@httpd] apache with mod_wl strips Content-type header value on 202 response from WLS

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com>.
On 8/22/06, Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> wrote:

> Smells of bug (unless of course it's confusion on your end).
> But 2.0.46 is very old.  Have you tried a more recent version
> (preferably 2.2 , where there are quite a few proxy changes)?

Unfortunately 2.2 isn't supported by mod_wl although I've been
starting to wonder what it is I'm getting out of mod_wl rather than
using mod_proxy.  Any other mod_wl users out there have thoughts on
this?

I'll try 2.0.59 and see if that brings any joy.

> Apache will sometimes modify response headers like this,
> but it certainly shouldn't do any such thing on a 202.

Thats what I would have thought.  It could of course be a bug in
mod_wl.  I'm assuming that I wouldn't be able to crank up the debug
high enough to actually find out where the header is being changed -
is this correct?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew