Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2004/02/09 14:21:19 UTC

Forrestdoc in scratchpad

I've put Forrestdoc in scratchpad.

To test it cd into the scratchpad/forrestdoc dir and do 'build all'.
(you need graphviz to get also the graphical docs)

For those that want to see how it looks without doing it, here it is:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestdoc/

Things to do to make it usable:

0 - make a code scanner so that this can be applied to any project
     without effort
1 - interlink javasrc and javadocs
2 - make javadocs from the xml format (skin)
2 - better uml page
3 - use the javadoc skin to make vizant docs
4 - add source views for other formats
6 - major overhaul of jsdoc

After this:

7 - integrate all in a single navigation - database of references
8 - output also to javahelp format
9 - make plugins for different languages

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Forrestdoc in scratchpad

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>Anyone has some concrete proposal of how to integrate this into Forrest
>>or Gump runs?
>
> I think we need multiple Gump runs, some to focus on compilation
> integrations, some to focus on what otherwise be considered 'side effects'
> (such as documentation). Separate workspaces/profiles ought allow this
> easily enough. [We might be able to combine the metadata into one gump.xml
> file per module/project, just pull separate 'projects' out of it. We can see
> what is needed...]

But sometime you need prior steps to be executed...

Hmmm... which makes me think that probably this is not needed ATM

Re: Forrestdoc in scratchpad

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Anyone has some concrete proposal of how to integrate this into Forrest
> or Gump runs?

I think we need multiple Gump runs, some to focus on compilation
integrations, some to focus on what otherwise be considered 'side effects'
(such as documentation). Separate workspaces/profiles ought allow this
easily enough. [We might be able to combine the metadata into one gump.xml
file per module/project, just pull separate 'projects' out of it. We can see
what is needed...]

If/when we get a gump.apache.org I'd like to set up a number of such things.
[I don't fancy doing it on LSD, even w/ Leo willing, I'd like to do this
once only.]

BTW: I run a Gump in Sybase for something very similar to forrestdoc -- home
grown using centipede -- so could (possibly, no promises) find an itch
here...

regards,

Adam

Re: Forrestdoc in scratchpad

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> boy, that's a lot of work. my suggestion would be make sure that we get
> people the itch to scratch and find a way to incorporate it in forrest
> runs so that people want to come in and fix things.

Yup.
Actually, what I had thought of was to attach this to Gump runs, so that
every project built by Gump had also these docs... and there is where I
started crawling... somehow I felt a bit lonely and let go :-/

Anyway, the only real thing to do for me ATM is point 0:

0 - make a code scanner so that this can be applied to any project
     without effort

In this way one can simply cd into a project root and have the docs
generated, no strings attached.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 9 Feb 2004, at 08:21, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I've put Forrestdoc in scratchpad.

Awesome! thanks a lot.

--
Stefano.