Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tomcat Newbie <to...@allthatnet.com> on 2003/09/04 17:13:25 UTC

occasional 403 Errors (revised question) -- jk2 broken pipe error

Sorry, it seems I left out most importan information from my e-mail
describing the problem. Below my question revised.

******

I have an annoying problem with my setup. I searched the archives and net
for similar documented cases and I thought I found the solution, but it does
not seem to work. Any hints or ideas would be appreciated.

The problem:

Occasional 403 access errors to a number of random pages (seemingly with
Internet Explorer only).
*** There is a 403 error in Apache log and a corresponding "broken pipe"
error in catalina.out log.

Setup:

Apache 2.047
Tomcat 4.1.27 -- full version
*** Tomcat JK2 connector compiled from source (not sure how to determine the
version)
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)
Red Hat Linux 2.4.20-13.7

Tomcat catalina log fragment:

SEVERE: Error in action code
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.send(ChannelSocket.java:407)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:599)
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.action(JkCoyoteHandler.java:385)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:222)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.finish(Response.java:343)
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:268)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:360)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:604)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:562)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:679)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Thr
eadPool.java:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Solutions I tried:

Add a random string (comment) to the beginning of the page, since reportedly
IE does not handle caching properly (someone suggested that). Strangely
enough, this is happening on
dynamically generated pages.

Also, set max memory for tomcat to 256MB, but no change (earlier ran it with
standard settings).

TIA,

Ed