Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2008/07/31 15:57:01 UTC

Logos (powered by)

Any artsy people out there interested in creating a "Powered By
Lucene" logo based on the Lucene logo?  One that people can use
"officially" on their websites without worrying about trademark
violations, etc.  I think Tomcat and the like have similar things.

If so, create a JIRA issue and upload it (make sure you grant the ASF
usage)

Cheers,
Grant

Re: Logos (powered by)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> Bingo.  Even if we know 100% when/how the Lucene logo can be used, and we
> write lots of words about it on the website to make it clear to people
> when/how they can use it, people still may avoid it out of legal paranoia.

Long ago, we used to do that.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021004113751/jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/powered.html

Until we design something better, we could easily add something like
that to the wiki-based "powered by" page.

Doug

Re: Logos (powered by)

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: At any rate, I was just proposing something that is more "graphically
: optimal", to paraphrase your terms.  Something that is unambiguous in it's
: usage terms (because we explicitly say "use this", versus, "we're not sure if
: you can") and helps spread the Lucene brand, I guess.   A powered-by logo

Bingo.  Even if we know 100% when/how the Lucene logo can be used, and we
write lots of words about it on the website to make it clear to people
when/how they can use it, people still may avoid it out of legal paranoia.

When you distribute a PNG that actually has words like "Powerd By" in the
image, and you host it on a page with sample HTML showing how to use it so
that it links back to lucene.apache.org ... that's a pretty concrete
message of the "no really, take this image and use it on your site, or in
your app."

if nothing else, we should distribute more then one size of the logo (i've
seen some weird resizing jobs out there, some clearly done in some
inferior image manipulation tools.)

-Hoss

Re: Logos (powered by)

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> To be clear, one can use the official Lucene logo for this purpose,
> right?

I don't know.  IANAL and all that good stuff.  When I read some
things, it's not obvious to me, and I've had a some discussions with
people that make me even more unsure :-)

> Apache doesn't want its trademarks used to describe other products,
> but other folks using the Lucene logo to refer to Apache Lucene is
> fine.  So a link to http://lucene.apache.org/ whose anchor is
> "Powered by <Lucene Logo>" is legally fine, if perhaps graphically
> suboptimal.

At any rate, I was just proposing something that is more "graphically
optimal", to paraphrase your terms.  Something that is unambiguous in
it's usage terms (because we explicitly say "use this", versus, "we're
not sure if you can") and helps spread the Lucene brand, I guess.   A
powered-by logo would make it clear, in my mind, but I'm fine w/o it
too.

-Grant

Re: Logos (powered by)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
To be clear, one can use the official Lucene logo for this purpose,
right?  Apache doesn't want its trademarks used to describe other