Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/01/05 02:23:56 UTC

Fwd: MerlinDeveloper incubation query

Incubator not interested in providing advice?

Niclas

Subject: MerlinDeveloper incubation query
Date: Wednesday 31 December 2003 00:05
From: Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Andreas Oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>

Hi,

I am committer at Avalon and working on (among other things) IDE tools for
Avalon[1] and Merlin[2] in particular.
I have been in contact with Andreas Oberhack, who has previously done a fair
amount of work in this area already, and he is willing to put his code
straight into the IDE effort at Avalon.

Members of the Avalon PMC has mentioned that Incubation may be appropriate.

It is 31 Java source files, of various size, with dependency on XDoclet and
XStream (both BSD-styled licenses).

1. All source files has had the ASF license inserted.
2. The packages has been changed to org.apache.avalon.ide.xxx
3. Andreas is about to fax the CLA in the next few days.

Incubator;  Could you please provide me with a "process" on how to proceed
with this "IP transfer", as the "process" outlined on
http://incubator.apache.org seems to be more extensive than is the case here
(will not be a subproject, will not have separate CVS or mailing lists, et
al. ).

Should the Incubator PMC consider this as a subject for incubation, the
following Avalon PMC members are prepared to support by direct participation
and Mentoring of the project under the sponsorship of the Avalon PMC:

  Niclas Hedhman
  Stephen McConnell

Thank you.

Niclas Hedhman
Avalon committer and PMC member

[1] Avalon: http://avalon.apache.org
[2] Merlin: http://avalon.apache.org/merlin

Re: Fwd: MerlinDeveloper incubation query

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2004 07:47, Leo Simons wrote:
>>Do we require a PMC vote on that as well? If so, should that vote occur
>>before or after the initial import?
>
> My proposal is that we do a combined vote at the Avalon PMC;
> * Acceptance of this codebase
>    with
> * Andreas as a committer
> since it is fairly tightly coupled.

yeah, that probably makes sense (though I always prefer to split votes
about issues like this); but my question was about an Incubator PMC
vote. I don't think I can "sign off" the licensing checklist by myself.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: Fwd: MerlinDeveloper incubation query

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 08 January 2004 07:47, Leo Simons wrote:
> a code formatter (so I presume) has reformatted the ASL at the top of
> every sourcefile to have a layout different from what we are used to
> with the ASL (though the text is the same). This is something that's
> easiest to fix using a search-and-replace before import. Which the
> avalon team of course promises to do :D

I'll check and try to correct this.
The point here is that Eclipse has a built-in code-formatter, which is highly
desirable to use in a consistent manner (i.e. everyone working on the
codebase has the same settings).
However, I didn't know that it was "tampering" with comments.
Legally speaking though, legal text layout is never an issue (remember;
"Always read the fine print", where they try to hide what they don't want you
to see).

> I am sure that Steve, Niclas and Noel will have given, are giving or
> will give the code a thorough look as well.

Have done so.

> As I see it, The only thing before graduation from incubation is an
> acknowledgement from Jim that Andreas' CLA and software grant have been
> received.

Ok.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Andreas has granted me, Steve, Niclas and Noel access to his private CVS
server. I have just finished auditing the code (read through each and
every sourcefile). No issues really worth mentioning. In more detail...

I can confirm (with the obvious disclaimer that IANAL and furthermore
that I am human so its possible I missed some things):

* all dependencies are under (revised) BSD-style or the CPL licenses,
   and are as such compatible with license and license policy.

* use of all dependencies complies with the respective licenses for
   those dependencies (which is quite easy :D), with the exception that
   the licenses are not provided with the end user documentation as there
   is no such documentation at the moment. Since the code will be merged
   into an existing avalon distributable, the licenses only need to be
   added there.

* nearly all code is licensed under the avalon version of the ASL 1.1
   and has the ASL license at the top with an appropriate copyright
   notice, except for 2 small classes:

   test.org.apache.avalon.ide.eclipse.core.resource.AllTests
test.org.apache.avalon.ide.eclipse.core.resource.ProjectResourceManagerTest

   These have no license header at all yet since they were mostly
   auto-generated. We will of course fix this before import.

  * as far as its remotely possible to determine, all code appears to
    have originated from Andreas (besides, his signing of CLA and
    software grant should ensure that IIUC), so no other CLAs or code
    grants besides what he has sent in are required.

  * no patent I'm aware of applies to the software.

  * no trademark I'm aware of applies to the software.

  * above and beyond no use of any names or dependencies violates any
    moral principles.

There is one other thing to fix:

Articles & Opinions -- http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/jicarilla/Articles

Re: Fwd: MerlinDeveloper incubation query

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2004 23:58, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>>With respect to this codebase, as I understand it, it is a straight
>>donation of some 30-odd classes.  We need the software grant, and to vet
>>the code (as you may recall, I had previously found GPL issues).
>
> The GPL'd dependency has been removed, and the other dependencies have a
> BSD-style license, so that should be a breeze.

good! Andreas, I seem to remember you making a zipfile available on a
server. Could you do that again with the updated stuff? If not, maybe
send the file to me, Noel, Niclas, Steve via private e-mail.

>>Andreas Oberhack should submit a signed and completed Software Grant, which
>>he can download from http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt.
>>If/when the Avalon PMC would wish to grant him Commit karma, he will need
>>to submit a signed and completed CLA.  All of this is under
>>http://www.apache.org/licenses/.
>
> CLA was sent in kind-of "last year", and according to Andreas teh software
> grant has also been faxed in by now.

good! We'll have to wait for an acknowledgement from the secretary (Jim)
that its in. In the meantime, lets do the code audit :D

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by andreas oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.
Hello all,

I've sent already my CLA to the headquarter last week (30th of Dec.)

The software-grant will leave my fax machine in the next minutes.

All the best

Andreas

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Incubator not interested in providing advice?
<snip/>
> Incubator;  Could you please provide me with a "process" on how to proceed
> with this "IP transfer", as the "process" outlined on
> http://incubator.apache.org seems to be more extensive than is the case here
> (will not be a subproject, will not have separate CVS or mailing lists, et
> al. ).

Like I wrote on the Avalon PMC list (NB: the "you" referenced to is not
Niclas):
---
I agree with Noel that there's some IP/license things to figure out.
That means incubator pmc and avalon pmc should work *together*
to fix some things. I share your preference, but there's this board
decree we should be following. With my PMC hats on, I don't
care much for our preferences -- we should do what is right.

Not that it matters as much as you make it seem. You, me, Noel,
Niclas, we can sponsor the project. Noel creates a private
mailing list where the avalon PMC and Andreas work with the
incubator PMC (which would be Noel and me, actually), we run
over a checklist together, send the results to the incubator PMC,
get sign-off, everyone happy.

During that process, we can already import the code into the
avalon sandbox, Andreas already becomes a committer, and
normal development continues.

The incubator is not a scary monster that eats projects. It is, in fact
people like you and me, some mailing lists, some web pages and
an ASF officer with a PMC to handle some things for the ASF.

We should be able to do it in roughly a week, barring christmas
activities.
---

as for that checklist I mentioned, I believe its in CVS somewhere.
Basically, we ensure appropriate CLAs and code grants are on file, there
are no patent, copyright or trademark issues, and then we're done.

I agree that the above is not the most extensive or user friendly
process documentation; but that's because we're sort-of figuring it out
as we go.

cheers!

- Leo

Re: Fwd: MerlinDeveloper incubation query

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 05 January 2004 16:08, Sander Striker wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 02:23, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Incubator not interested in providing advice?
>
> Yes, it is.  But, considering the holidays, cut everyone
> some slack.

:o)  Holiday = "Plenty of Time for volunteer work", no?  :D

Niclas

Re: Fwd: MerlinDeveloper incubation query

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 02:23, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Incubator not interested in providing advice?

Yes, it is.  But, considering the holidays, cut everyone
some slack.

Sander