Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2003/11/11 02:01:56 UTC

[Fwd: FAIL Apache-Test-1.06 darwin 6.8]

hi all

I've been thinking about this situation for a while now...

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> hi all
>
> I've been thinking about this situation for a while now...

Hehe, the joys of releasing A-T ;)

First of all I'm a solid -1 on making a failing 'make test' automatically
returning success if its config has failed.

Here is the technical explanation for this vote is:

If you want to add this as an option that's cool, so developers could say, I
don't care if people don't run my carefully designed coverage test suite and
then bug me with problems in their programs which they won't have happened if
they did run the test suite and reported the problems with a nicely crafted
tracing and debug output, instead wasting my and user's time in an endless
ping pong of emails... I definitely don't want to enable this on my modules
and won't suggest to any other developers to do so. The SUPPORT doc should
explain what to do in that case without causing a bug report (see more below).

The solution as I see it is as follows:

1. ignore those bugreporters who don't bother to read that error message. Yes,
just ignore them, delete their (usually automatic via RT) email as soon as you
see it. Since we now print the banner suggesting to look in SUPPORT on
failure, we should probably explain at the beginning of that file what the
error message means and what to do before trying to file a bug report. Also we
should probably add the -apxs hint as well (before the existing -httpd)

2. add the configure-once run-all CPAN.pm-like feature, which Randy coded the
first pass, I started to adopt it to use CPAN/FirstTime.pm but was sidetracked
by nasty segfaults which i still haven't resolved. Once I finish with them I
promise to take care of this issue as the first priority. Once this is
accomplished, most people will need to tell -apxs manually once in their long
life of using mp1 or mp2.