Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com> on 2001/10/13 02:52:27 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Hey,

The latest Apache::ASP 2.25 is in your local CPAN, or you
can download it from:

  http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-module/Apache/

This is a big release which represents changes for 2.25 & 2.23,
and because of the scope of the changes, I would not rush
to put your production web application on it, even though
my stuff has been running fine for a while.

Special to this release is a new dbm based output caching layer API
via a $Response->Include() API extension.  This can be handy for
optimizing out mostly static, costly components from having
to be recomputed every time.  For more info on this check out:

  http://www.apache-asp.org/objects.html#%24Response-%3EI3a1a8b77

The web site has also been improved recently with Unix friendly
font styles ( they were tiny before! ) ... http://www.apache-asp.org

For the CHANGES in this release, please see:

  http://www.apache-asp.org/changes.html#%20%24VERSION%20%3D%20ccbdb998
  http://www.apache-asp.org/changes.html#%24VERSION%20%3D%2024674da9c

-- Josh

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
raptor wrote:

> Will it be possible for ordinary .asp scripts to put stuff in the cache..
> (probably in case where they are a little big and is not worth storing them
> in Session)... i.e. something like this :
>
> my %blah = ( ...... );
> my $md5hash = $Server->CacheStore(\%attr,%blah);
> $Server->CachePurge($md5hash);
> ...after several pages...!!..or so ...
> my %newBlah = $Server->CacheReStore($md5hash);

Sure, this will be implemented in a subsequent release,
with the user cache to be accessible via like a
$Server->Cache API.  Note sure yet exactly what it
will look like though.

--Josh

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Posted by raptor <ra...@vehicle-directory.co.uk>.
Will it be possible for ordinary .asp scripts to put stuff in the cache..
(probably in case where they are a little big and is not worth storing them
in Session)... i.e. something like this :

my %blah = ( ...... );
my $md5hash = $Server->CacheStore(\%attr,%blah);
$Server->CachePurge($md5hash);
...after several pages...!!..or so ...
my %newBlah = $Server->CacheReStore($md5hash);

OR better :

my %blah = ( ...... );
$Session->Store('SessionVarName', \%attr, %blah)
my %newblah = $Session->ReStore('SessionVarName')

The MD5hash accessed like : $Session->{'SessionVarName'}
=====
iVAN
raptor@unacs.bg
=====

| Perrin Harkins wrote:
| >
| > > Special to this release is a new dbm based output caching layer API
| > > via a $Response->Include() API extension.  This can be handy for
| > > optimizing out mostly static, costly components from having
| > > to be recomputed every time.  For more info on this check out:
| > >
| > >   http://www.apache-asp.org/objects.html#%24Response-%3EI3a1a8b77
| >
| > Nice feature!  Of course, now I have to update the templating guide...
(For

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Posted by raptor <ra...@vehicle-directory.co.uk>.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:

> > Special to this release is a new dbm based output caching layer API
> > via a $Response->Include() API extension.  This can be handy for
> > optimizing out mostly static, costly components from having
> > to be recomputed every time.  For more info on this check out:
> >
> >   http://www.apache-asp.org/objects.html#%24Response-%3EI3a1a8b77
>
> Nice feature!  Of course, now I have to update the templating guide...  (For
> AxKit and HTML::Template as well.)

You are too nice. :)  Any updates will be appreciated.

> I found the table in the CacheDB documentation confusing.  It looks like
> you're comparing 3200 byte fetches multiple times.  Is that a typo, or am I
> misreading it?

Right, that table at http://www.apache-asp.org/config.html#CacheDB
didn't turn out too well.  There were two tables, one for FETCHES
and one for STORES.  In each MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File was compared
with DB_File.  Because the cache layer uses MLDBM::Sync, its
has similar performance metrics that you can find from
that module's ./bench/bench_sync.pl script.

--Josh

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
> Special to this release is a new dbm based output caching layer API
> via a $Response->Include() API extension.  This can be handy for
> optimizing out mostly static, costly components from having
> to be recomputed every time.  For more info on this check out:
>
>   http://www.apache-asp.org/objects.html#%24Response-%3EI3a1a8b77

Nice feature!  Of course, now I have to update the templating guide...  (For
AxKit and HTML::Template as well.)

I found the table in the CacheDB documentation confusing.  It looks like
you're comparing 3200 byte fetches multiple times.  Is that a typo, or am I
misreading it?

- Perrin

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP v2.25

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.