Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dr A.C. Marshall" <ad...@liverpool.ac.uk> on 2002/10/02 14:41:21 UTC

Re:   appears as ?'s

If anybody was waiting for the solution the this conundrum with bated
breath (!), the solution is that one must have the LC_* environmewnt
variables set up. Once this is done &nbsp;s are handled correctly:

LC_COLLATE=en_UK
LC_CTYPE=en_UK
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_MONETARY=en_UK
LC_NUMERIC=en_UK
LC_TIME=C

Adam

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:

|Dr A.C. Marshall wrote:
|
|>Folks
|>
|>I have just switched from JServ to Tomcat - My servelt reads XML files ,
|>transforms them nad waps them out to the browser. Virtually everything works
|>fine except my &#160;'s (non-breakable spaces) get auto-translated by the
|>xerces parser to question marks. In other words by the time I use the
|>
|>	characters(char [], int, int)
|>
|>method, all references to &#160; have been changed to ?'s! (The &nbsp;
|>entity is defined in xhtml-lat1.ent.)
|>
|>I assume that this must be a very common problem with an equally simple
|>solution, its just that I cant find any mention of it ! I assume it is
|>tomcat related as xerces worked fine with JServ. I guess there could be
|>an issue with the JDK as jserv uses jdk 1.1 and my tomcat installation
|>used jdk 1.4 - but you'd expect 1.4 to handle everything that 1.1 did.
|>
|By default, jdk 1.4 use Crimson as the XML parser. Which version of
|Tomcat are you using? If you are using 4.0.x, for sure Crimson will be
|used. If 4.1.x, check to see if xercesImpl.jar is under
|/common/endorsed/.Download the latest Xerces jars and put it there. Your
|problem should disappear.

|-- Jeanfrancois

|>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|>
|>Adam

|--

--
   Dr AC Marshall (adamm@liv.ac.uk). LUSID System Programmer,
   Centre for Lifelong Learning, University of Liverpool.

   Cheese of the Millenium: Quejo con Piri Piri