Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Baz <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/05 02:04:22 UTC

How can i run the junit in Maven 2.0?

All,

I have developers *Test.java files in place and invoking some sort of
junit frameworks.

My question is: Do i need to invoke anything to run the Junit?
Surefire? How? If i add the surefire plugins in pom.xml, is that mean
the junits will be executed?

How can i tell surefire to output in xml format?

Thanks.

B.

Re: How can i run the junit in Maven 2.0?

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, B.,

Maven goes through different build phases. One of them is test. In this test
phase, the goal surefire:test is invoked ( See [1] for more info on
lifecycles and phases). This will run your test cases ( which are your java
files which has the following pattern: Test*.java, *Test.java,
*TestCase.java. See [2] for more info ) in your test directory ( which by
default is src/test/java. See [3] for more info ). Thus, as long as you have
src/test/java/**/Test*.java or src/test/java/**/*Test.java or
src/test/java/**/*TestCase.java, and you invoke a command which goes pass
the test phase ( mvn package, mvn install, mvn deploy, etc ), your tests
would run even if you don't configure anything in your pom ( except for
adding junit to your dependency :) ).

After running the commands, you can take a look at your
target/surefire-reports/ and you will see text and xml files for each of
your test case. That's because for each of your test case, the
maven-surefire-report-plugin will generate a text and an xml output.

Also, if you want to generate surefire reports you can also take a look at
[4] for the maven-surefire-report-plugin.

Cheers,
Franz

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/introduction-to-the-lifecycle
[2]