Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Apache Pulsar Slack <ap...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/31 09:11:02 UTC

Slack digest for #dev - 2020-01-31

2020-01-30 11:10:05 UTC - jia zhai: @Rajan Dhabalia currently github action is set as required instead of jenkins, contributor could trigger the github action as they want.
----
2020-01-30 14:33:17 UTC - Ryan: It is how we are doing something nearly identical. If you have any questions on scalability of that solution, let me know. We’re using Kubernetes scheduler right now.
----
2020-01-30 15:15:42 UTC - sindhushree: @sindhushree has joined the channel
----
2020-01-30 18:27:31 UTC - Rajan Dhabalia: I don't think non-committer can trigger the CI..
----
2020-01-30 18:47:17 UTC - Rajan Dhabalia: and another big problem is builds are really unstable due to many flaky cpp/python/java unit test, integration tests  and function integration tests..
----
2020-01-30 18:56:49 UTC - Sijie Guo: @Rajan Dhabalia: close pull request and re-open it can trigger CI.

Flaky tests has been there for a while. It was hidden when using the trigger phrase.
Github actions were stable for a while.
----
2020-01-30 18:57:42 UTC - Rajan Dhabalia: close and re-open will trigger all the jobs
----
2020-01-30 18:58:40 UTC - Rajan Dhabalia: contributor needs a mechanism to trigger a specific job which is failed
----
2020-01-30 19:34:22 UTC - Sijie Guo: for right now, the committers can help with triggering those failed check.
we can consider setting up and implementing a pulsarbot for triggering those failed checks.
----
2020-01-30 19:35:40 UTC - Sijie Guo: there is no perfect solutions right now. jenkins vs github actions. Github actions has more resources than jenkins. It can at least accelerating testing those pull requests. It does add additional convenience. but we can work on improving the github actions route.
----
2020-01-30 19:36:11 UTC - Rajan Dhabalia: is it possible to trigger job by adding comment like it was working earlier?
----
2020-01-30 19:36:53 UTC - Rajan Dhabalia: if that's the case then we can add comment-text next to the job and contributor can add comment to trigger the job..
----
2020-01-30 19:37:35 UTC - Rajan Dhabalia: I am having similar issue with bookkeeper because I am not committer and my PRs are sitting there for sometime
----
2020-01-30 21:21:46 UTC - David Lanouette: @David Lanouette has joined the channel
----
2020-01-30 23:21:41 UTC - Eugen: I haven't thought about scaling and operational concerns yet - but if you'd be willing to outline the way you are doing it, that would be awesome! Including concerns related to things like the number of topics, number of partitions (if any).
----
2020-01-30 23:23:55 UTC - Eugen: That said, I will perhaps go with Plan B, and then try to add features to Pulsar so we can go with Plan A. However, sorting is not a trivial thing to add, because in contrast to deduplication, we cannot just reject messages with too low a sequence id, but we have to persists messages temporarily until we out-of-order messages arrive, before actually committing them to the topic.
----
2020-01-30 23:54:07 UTC - Sijie Guo: @Rajan Dhabalia there is no a quick solution yet. Let me search around to see if there is any github action that we can leverage.
----
2020-01-31 06:19:25 UTC - Ravi Shah: Hi Team, Can i install pulsar c++ client on Alpine?
----