Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by nagarjuna kanamarlapudi <na...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/18 13:59:16 UTC

Execution of udf

Hi,

Select col1,myudf(col2,col3) from table1;

In what phase if map reduce an udf is executed.

In the very beginning, I assumed that hive will be joining two tables.,
getting the required columns and then applies udf on columns specified
I.e., essentially on reducer phase . But later on I realised that I was
wrong.

Is there any specific parameter which suggests hive to call udf at reducer
phase rather than at Mapper phase.

Regards,
Nagarjuna

--
Sent from iPhone

Re: Execution of udf

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com>.
That should be an identity pass through or NOOP that does nothing, but
MapReduce requires "something".

--
*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*
thinkbiganalytics.com