Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2017/06/03 08:26:29 UTC

[Numbers] How far from a first release?

Hello.

There are 15 open issues in
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS

See also:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS-25

Can we consider a first release?
Should it be a "beta"?[1]
Please indicate what you think the status is of each
module.
Please indicate which issues could be postponed.
Please assign yourself some issues...
What is the status of "commons-numbers-complex"?

Is there some more code we can move from "Commons Math"?
Please remove from "Math" the code which you have ported
to "Numbers"; see

Gilles

[1] Unless I'm mistaken, the previous experiments did not
     bring any insights as how to improve the subsequent
     release.

Re: [Numbers] How far from a first release?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello Eric.

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 22:03:44 +0200, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> As far as commons-complex goes. To conform the library to C
> standards, the
> entire approach to NaN had to be rethought. In fact it is not clear
> from
> the code what the justification was for the NaN approach in the
> present
> code. To handle corner cases of nearly every operation in accordance
> with
> the standard, NaNs and infinities in real or imaginary parts need to
> be
> handled in flexible ways; and nearly every operation in the previous
> Complex library simply checked for NaN (in either Re or Im) at the
> beginning, then returned NaN immediately if this was found, and
> sometimes
> also for Inf. I stripped all these out, then set up a testing regime
> to see
> how close the trig methods came to matching the C standards for the
> corner
> cases without additional code to check those cases. What remains is
> to code
> in handling of the corner cases when the "default" response of the
> complex
> object does not match the C standards.
>
> Other progress has been made. All the C++ syntactic sugar is in. Some
> new
> methods in C++ 11 (the proj method comes to mind) were added.
>
> I had to let it sit because I needed to learn a bunch of R and Julia
> for
> work, but if there is a release coming, I will use it as motivation
> to get
> complex finished.

Thanks for the update (and the work!).
[I can't comment on the NaN handling...]

Do you think that you could commit the current state of that work
to "master" (possibly tagging with "@Ignore" the unit tests that
still fail)?
That would enable someone else to upgrade the "Commons Math" code
to use the class from "Commons Numbers" (cf. MATH-1416).
There are also issues with "ComplexUtils" which someone else could
take on if you don't have the time.[1]

As for the release, I'm inquiring about what would hold it.

Best regards,
Gilles

[1] But please do comment on them.

Posted by Eric Barnhill <er...@gmail.com>.