Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu> on 2016/08/13 16:33:37 UTC

saving certain pages to a document

greets!

I suspect it's not possible without attempting a macro but:

is it possible to save say pages 10 to 20 of a document to a file?

I know one can export selected pages to a pdf but I'd like to 'export'
selected pages to odt or, preferably, to doc.

basically 'save as' but get to choose the pages.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Reporter:   "How did you like school when you were growing up, Yogi?"
Yogi Berra: "Closed."

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 12:33:37 -0400 (EDT)
> Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu> wrote:
>
>> greets!
>>
>> I suspect it's not possible without attempting a macro but:
>>
>> is it possible to save say pages 10 to 20 of a document to a file?
>>
>> I know one can export selected pages to a pdf but I'd like to 'export'
>> selected pages to odt or, preferably, to doc.
>>
>> basically 'save as' but get to choose the pages.
>>
>> f.
>>
>> --
>> Felmon Davis
>>
>> Reporter:   "How did you like school when you were growing up, Yogi?"
>> Yogi Berra: "Closed."
>>

> On the rare occasions I need to do this I use one of two approaches.
> I either Save the file under a new name, then delete the earlier and
> later pages to leave only what I require, or I select and Copy the
> pages required, pasting them into a new file.

yeah, I'm stuck doing this.

only the first option works as the document is highly formatted so I'd
have to recreate the formatting.

luckily relatively short, need five chunks from 50+ pages.

related issue: is there an easy way to convert page numbers from
'fields' to ordinary numbers?

sigh, I assume I have to re-set pagination on each sub-file if I want
that.

maybe I should have done this as a 'master document'? fooled with that
a couple of yrs ago but the added layer of complexity did not bring an
added degree of gain.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

today, n.:
         A nice place to visit, but you can't stay here for long.

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 18:16 14/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, James Plante wrote:
>> From styles menu: load styles
>
>... the 'load styles' dialogue seemed to work; when I looked at the
>styles list in the new document, I found the styles I had devised in
>the source document.

I'm not sure why this is necessary: a little experimentation confirms
my impression that simply copying and pasting material from one
document to another automatically carries with it necessary styles.

Brian Barker

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by nasrin khaksar <na...@gmail.com>.
hi.
i wanted to appreciate your informative and useful answers.
they helped me to solve some of my issues.
thanks for your help and God bless you all!

On 8/15/16, Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
>

>> On 08/14/2016 03:16 PM, Felmon Davis wrote:
>>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, James Plante wrote:
>>>
>> snip
>>> I wasn't aware of this resource! fact is, I had installed an extension
>>> called 'template-changer' for a similar purpose but this 'style import'
>>> utility is built-in and seems to work smoothly.
>> snip
>>
>> Felmon,
>> I have used the Template Changer extension in the past for AOO 3.x,
>> however,
>> it is my understanding that it is not compatible with AOO 4.x+ and is no
>> longer maintained, so no hope of future compatibility with current or
>> future
>> AOO versions.  In your later posting, you say that you are using AOO
>> 4.1.1.
>> Are you still able to use the AOO 3.x Template Changer extension with
>> 4.1.1?
>> Girvin Herr
>
> I did a quick test applying a somewhat 'stylized' template to a pretty
> simple (minor formatting) document and to all appearances it seems to
> have worked.
>
> the template has a page header and footer, the footer has text for the
> title and top and bottom borders and page numbering; header has a
> place-holder where the title of the section would appear (if the
> simple document had a section title; paragraphing is now 1.5 line
> spacing.
>
> yes, seems formatting has been carried over.
>
> it is version 4.1.1; template changer is at 1.2.6. I have not checked
> for updates to the latter.
>
> f.
>
> --
> Felmon Davis
>
> You should avoid hedging, at least that's what I think.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 23:39 14/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:
>>>... the 'load styles' dialogue seemed to work; when I looked at
>>>the styles list in the new document, I found the styles I had
>>>devised in the source document.
>>
>>I'm not sure why this is necessary: a little experimentation
>>confirms my impression that simply copying and pasting material
>>from one document to another automatically carries with it necessary styles.
>
>here a little experimentation confirms my impression the styles are
>not carried over. bit of a hurry now but I'll have a deeper look
>later; most likely I'm missing some special circumstance. weird.
>[...]
>I'm at 4.1.1.

Just to confirm my experience (in version 4.1.2 under Windows):

I created a new text document with new character, paragraph, and page
styles and saved it as .odt. I even closed OpenOffice. Now I reopened
the document, selected all, and copied and pasted into a new
document. The new document showed all three custom styles. (A manual
page break was not carried over, which confused the issue slightly,
but the styles were all there.)

Brian Barker

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 00:35 23/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:
>>>here a little experimentation confirms my impression the styles
>>>are not carried over. bit of a hurry now but I'll have a deeper
>>>look later; most likely I'm missing some special circumstance. weird.
>>>[...]
>>>I'm at 4.1.1.
>>
>>Just to confirm my experience (in version 4.1.2 under Windows):
>>
>>I created a new text document with new character, paragraph, and
>>page styles and saved it as .odt. I even closed OpenOffice. Now I
>>reopened the document, selected all, and copied and pasted into a
>>new document. The new document showed all three custom styles. (A
>>manual page break was not carried over, which confused the issue
>>slightly, but the styles were all there.)
>
>there must be some special condition differing between your and my
>setup. I may try to replicate your experiment exactly but not right
>this moment; maybe tomorrow.
>
>I did repeat my experiment:
>(a) open new document (OpenOffice 4.1.1 under Linux (Debian));
>(b) check default style and applied style: just says 'default' and
>no 'applied styles'
>(c) take heavily formatted document and copy and paste a bit from it
>into the 'virgin' document.
>(d) check default style and applied style: same as in (b); plus
>immediately obvious since the formatted document has 1.5 line
>spacing while 'virgin' is single-spaced.
>
>there are differences between your experiment and mine; wouldn't
>have thought they'd make a difference ...

You talk of "default" style without saying whether you are talking of
page, paragraph, or character styles. It seems that the default
paragraph style in particular is protected and not overwritten when
material is copied in. But the process works perfectly well, it
seems, with styles being automatically imported, if you use *custom*
styles instead of modifying Default.

Brian Barker

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 00:35 23/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> Just to confirm my experience (in version 4.1.2 under Windows):
>>>
>>> I created a new text document with new character, paragraph, and page
>>> styles and saved it as .odt. I even closed OpenOffice. Now I reopened the
>>> document, selected all, and copied and pasted into a new document. The new
>>> document showed all three custom styles. (A manual page break was not
>>> carried over, which confused the issue slightly, but the styles were all
>>> there.)
>>
>> there must be some special condition differing between your and my setup. I
>> may try to replicate your experiment exactly but not right this moment;
>> maybe tomorrow.
>>
>> I did repeat my experiment:
>> (a) open new document (OpenOffice 4.1.1 under Linux (Debian));
>> (b) check default style and applied style: just says 'default' and no
>> 'applied styles'
>> (c) take heavily formatted document and copy and paste a bit from it into
>> the 'virgin' document.
>> (d) check default style and applied style: same as in (b); plus immediately
>> obvious since the formatted document has 1.5 line spacing while 'virgin' is
>> single-spaced.
>>
>> there are differences between your experiment and mine; wouldn't have
>> thought they'd make a difference ...
>
> You talk of "default" style without saying whether you are talking of page,
> paragraph, or character styles.

sorry for being so unclear but I am talking about the field that
appears when you press F11 which regulates a lot of the paragraphing
including font style, etc.

> It seems that the default paragraph style in particular is protected
> and not overwritten when material is copied in. But the process
> works perfectly well, it seems, with styles being automatically
> imported, if you use *custom* styles instead of modifying Default.

not sure I understand this. two remarks:

a) it sounds like you are saying that 'default' (via 'F11') will not
be altered by copy and paste; if so, that's what I've observed.

b) it sounds like you are saying other customizations will be altered
by copy and paste; if so, I have not found this to be so - I don't
see them via 'F11' looking at 'applied styles' or at 'custom styles'.

I still haven't do your experiment but I intend to try it.

I probably have misunderstood you though. my apologies in advance; oh
heck, I apologize for past misunderstandings too!

f.

--
Felmon Davis

That all men should be brothers is the dream of people who have no
brothers.
                 -- Charles Chincholles, "Pensees de tout le monde"

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 23:39 14/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure why this is necessary: a little experimentation confirms my
>>> impression that simply copying and pasting material from one document to
>>> another automatically carries with it necessary styles.
>>
>> here a little experimentation confirms my impression the styles are not
>> carried over. bit of a hurry now but I'll have a deeper look later; most
>> likely I'm missing some special circumstance. weird.
>> [...]
>> I'm at 4.1.1.
>
> Just to confirm my experience (in version 4.1.2 under Windows):
>
> I created a new text document with new character, paragraph, and page styles
> and saved it as .odt. I even closed OpenOffice. Now I reopened the document,
> selected all, and copied and pasted into a new document. The new document
> showed all three custom styles. (A manual page break was not carried over,
> which confused the issue slightly, but the styles were all there.)
>
> Brian Barker

there must be some special condition differing between your and my
setup.

I may try to replicate your experiment exactly but not right this
moment; maybe tomorrow.

I did repeat my experiment:

(a) open new document (OpenOffice 4.1.1 under Linux (Debian));

(b) check default style and applied style: just says 'default' and
no 'applied styles'

(c) take heavily formatted document and copy and paste a bit from it
into the 'virgin' document.

(d) check default style and applied style: same as in (b); plus
immediately obvious since the formatted document has 1.5 line spacing
while 'virgin' is single-spaced.

there are differences between your experiment and mine; wouldn't have
thought they'd make a difference (e.g. saying the virgin document
first) but will play again tomorrow and see. (main obvious difference,
of course, is the version of OO.)

f.

--
Felmon Davis

One man's Mede is another man's Persian.
                 -- George M. Cohan

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 18:16 14/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, James Plante wrote:
>>> From styles menu: load styles
>>
>> ... the 'load styles' dialogue seemed to work; when I looked at the styles
>> list in the new document, I found the styles I had devised in the source
>> document.
>
> I'm not sure why this is necessary: a little experimentation confirms my
> impression that simply copying and pasting material from one document to
> another automatically carries with it necessary styles.
>
> Brian Barker

here a little experimentation confirms my impresson the styles are not
carried over.

bit of a hurry now but I'll have a deeper look later; most likely I'm
missing some special circumstance.

weird.

the way I tell is the style list in the destination doc does not
contain the customized styles from the source document; also obvious
at first glance (e.g. single-spaced in destination file while 1 1/2
spaced in source file) which is what triggered my question yesterday.

I'm at 4.1.1.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are
totally worthless.

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, James Plante wrote:

> Or perhaps\u2026
> Create new doc.
> From styles menu: load styles
> From the dialog that results, check the \u201cFrom file\u201d box.
> Select your original file from the dialog that results;
> Choose the parameters from the import dialog;
> Import.

I wasn't aware of this resource! fact is, I had installed an extension
called 'template-changer' for a similar purpose but this 'style
import' utility is built-in and seems to work smoothly.

I didn't find anything called 'import' but the 'load styles' dialogue
seemed to work; when I looked at the styles list in the new document,
I found the styles I had devised in the source document.

great!

> Anyway, that\u2019s the way I do it. I don\u2019t like the \u201cSelect everything
> and delete it\u201d option, because I did that once. Screwed up and chose
> to save the file. It did what I told it, and saved an empty doc over
> my finished report. Fortunately, I use a Mac with a Time Machine
> backup, so I didn\u2019t lose it all. But it was--at least momentarily--a
> heart-stopper.
>
> Jim

definitely a hazard when juggling files.

this was a great help! thank you.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

It'll be a nice world if they ever get it finished.

Re: saving certain pages to a document

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Or perhaps…
Create new doc.
From styles menu: load styles
From the dialog that results, check the “From file” box.
Select your original file from the dialog that results;
Choose the parameters from the import dialog;
Import.

Anyway, that’s the way I do it. I don’t like the “Select everything and delete it” option, because I did that once. Screwed up and chose to save the file. It did what I told it, and saved an empty doc over my finished report. Fortunately, I use a Mac with a Time Machine backup, so I didn’t lose it all. But it was--at least momentarily--a heart-stopper.

Jim

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.