Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Tomaz Muraus <to...@cloudkick.com> on 2011/02/16 13:20:58 UTC

[libcloud] EC2 nodes and the "public_ip" attribute

Hello,

I just wanted to modify the EC2 driver so the node public_ip address
attribute would also contain all the Elastic IP addresses which are
currently attached to this node, but I am not sure about one thing.

Currently, we use the "dnsName" attribute for the node public IP address
instead of "ipAddress" attribute -
https://github.com/apache/libcloud/blob/trunk/libcloud/drivers/ec2.py#L354 (it
is the same with the node private IP address - "privateDnsName" /
"privateIpAddress").

Is there any special reason why we do this (like, some old version of the
API only returned DNS names and not the IP addresses)? If not, is it ok to
change it to use the "ipAddress" & "privateIpAddress" attribute <
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/APIReference/>?

And even if there is a reason why we use DNS name, we don't resolve it
anywhere so this is not really technically correct and consistent with the
other drivers and it would be nice to fix it.

Thanks,
Tomaz

[libcloud] Re: EC2 nodes and the "public_ip" attribute

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@cloudkick.com>.
I have talked with Paul and others on IRC and changed the EC2 driver to use
the "ipAddress" and "privateIpAddress" attributes now.