Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/17 22:54:36 UTC

[VOTE] Disassemble the 'commons' notion

I hope no one will be offended by offering this as a vote right off
the bat, but it seems sort of self-evidently a good idea to me.

I want to move the contents of 'commons' to be direct children of the
ws project in svn. I've already done this to the web site :-)

I think we can leave a readme in 'commons' that explains where they went.

Is Guththila/ live?

Re: [VOTE] Disassemble the 'commons' notion

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I'd call it attic rather than archive for consistency, but I also
won't squeak at archive. Most Def +1.

Posted by Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 18 October 2010 10:04:59 am Glen Daniels wrote:
> This isn't a chair-specific thing, no, and thanks for asking Benson!
>
> I had started drafting up a message to the Attic folks, but just took a
> closer look at http://attic.apache.org/process.html - the Attic seems
> highly optimized for TLPs and not so much for subprojects.  Also, I hadn't
> realized this but the Attic does not seem to have a separate SVN
> repository - rather, it asks the projects to leave their content in-place
> (probably good for limited support of old searches/links/etc) and make it
> read-only.  As such, it may not actually be the best option for our
> subprojects.
>
> Another option for us is to simply move the designated subprojects into our
> own (read-only) archive, to sit alongside soap, pubscribe, etc....  We'd
> still shut down the mailing lists (that's happening anyway), make the
> appropriate JIRAs read-only, etc.
>
> What do people think of that notion?  If we're +1 on that idea we can just
> do it.

I'm +1, but I DO think that working with the Attic folks is the right thing to
do so that the projects get officially  listed there.   Similar to:

http://attic.apache.org/projects/jakarta-slide.html

and such.

> Open question - should we leave at least top-level SVN dirs for the
> subprojects that get archived, with a README?  We didn't do this for the
> former ones, and it would make our SVN space less "clean", but it might be
> nice for folks looking for the old stuff.  I guess I'd say no, it's easy
> enough to find if we update the ws.apache.org page, but what do others
> think?

I personally would prefer a webservice/archive directory or somthing to stick
them in.  Out of sight, out of mind.   Actually, in this case, it's the other
way around.   Out of mind, make it out of sight.   :-)   I'd extend this to

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Disassemble the 'commons' notion

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Benson,

> I hope no one will be offended by offering this as a vote right off
> the bat, but it seems sort of self-evidently a good idea to me.
>
> I want to move the contents of 'commons' to be direct children of the
> ws project in svn. I've already done this to the web site :-)

This is in fact exactly what we discussed in the earlier "what's next for WS"
threads.  However, the idea was to decide the fate of each of the commons
subprojects *before* doing the move, to save ourselves the extra work of
moving a project that would then become a TLP (i.e. Axiom?) or Attic'ed.

I guess I'm +0 for doing this now, assuming that we will continue to have a
WS project in some way shape or form, containing many/most of these subprojects.

> I think we can leave a readme in 'commons' that explains where they went.
>
> Is Guththila/ live?

IIRC Guththila was merged into the Axis2/C codebase, and is being developed
there.  So I believe that can go, and we can just delete it, though we should
confirm with the C team.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis2/c/core/trunk/guththila/

--Glen

Re: [VOTE] Disassemble the 'commons' notion

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
OK, then, let me back up.

Conceptually, once upon a time this project had a lot more stuff in
it, and there was an idea that there were several small pieces that
could be conceptualized as 'commons'.

After the split of Axis and the Atticing of a few things, there is
much less content all around. The categorization of xmlschema and
neethi as 'commons' while, say, wss4j is not, is, I claim, completely
arbitrary and confusing. So, in terms of a web site that presents
these components to the world, I repeat that it seems to me to be
obvious that it should be flattened. If you disagree, you're welcome
to explain your point of view.

This wasn't even my idea. Dims originally did it when starting the
Confluence site, long before the reorg. I just carried it back onto
the Forrest site to simplify it and reduce the effort of cleaning it
up.

It's classic lazy consensus. No one else had done a lick of work in a
long time, work needed doing, so I picked a strategy and did
something. If you dislike it enough for a -1, in this case, I propose
that you should be willing shoulder some of the burden of meetings the
board's requirements for cleaning up the web site. This approach to
the web site is also rather consistent with the mailing list changes,
which attracted nothing but favorable comment.

As for making work, well, it seems to me that this community hasn't
been doing it's basic homework of maintaining the top of the web site
for *years*. Either some work is going to get made and done, or, I
think this project will by further subdivided to meet the board's
imperatives. I would be perfectly happy to take XmlSchema out as it's
own TLP and let the rest of this stuff end up wherever. I am also
willing, however, to take the WS project seriously as a project, and
not just a dustbin, which is what I am doing here by cleaning up the
web site.

Finally, I'm not seeing how it makes work in any interesting way to
clean up the arrangement of SVN. Since these pieces are all built
independently, their relative positions in the SVN tree are rather
uninteresting. Am I missing something?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

Nadir Amra
Integrated Web Services for IBM i Operating System
Internet: amra@us.ibm.com

Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com> wrote on 10/24/2010 11:29:11
AM:

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Created INFRA-3128 for this.

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
The two JIRA projects have been created. Now the question is what
should happen to the existing issues in WSCOMMONS. I'm tempted to say
that they should all be moved to the new home, including resolved
issues. That will surely be a bit painful in the beginning, because it
will require some work, generate some noise (notifications) and create
some confusion initially. However, in the long term, I think it is a
better solution because it completely eliminates the confusion of
having issues for the same project in two different JIRA projects. It
also makes it easier to search for known issues and to generate
meaningful statistics about the evolution of the projects. Finally,
migrating all existing issues also gives a better impression about the
state of the projects: if we now start with AXIOM-1, people may think
that Axiom is not a mature project...

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Benson,

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.
+1

If you can make things better short term (even if some end up in the attic) I think that is tremendous.

Tom