Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by Andronidis Anastasios <an...@hotmail.com> on 2014/09/19 16:52:58 UTC

MapWritable is really bad

Hello,

I remember a discussion rose upon performance issues on messages and that kryo serializer helped a lot.

Please read this: http://www.chrisstucchio.com/blog/2011/mapwritable_sometimes_a_performance_hog.html

From a custom test I did, I was sending some messages with MapWritable as a container, Text as key and ArrayWritable (with integers inside) as a value. Hama was reporting 20MB of traffic. When I wrote my own Map (that implements Writable interface) I reduced the amount from 20MB to 1.5MB..

Cheers,
Anastasios

Re: MapWritable is really bad

Posted by Chia-Hung Lin <cl...@googlemail.com>.
I mean in addition to kyro, we also roll our own implementation for
mapwriable as it seems (IIRC) we are going to keep both (kyro and
writable) in our hama framework.

Sorry for not articulating clearly.

Posted by Andronidis Anastasios <an...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Chia-Hung Lin <cl...@googlemail.com>.