Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> on 2018/09/08 13:18:54 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2

Hi All,
This is a call for vote to release Apache SkyWalking (Incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2.

The Apache SkyWalking community has tested, voted and approved the proposed
release of Apache SkyWalking (Incubating) 5.0.0-RC2

We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

SkyWalking: APM (application performance monitor) tool for distributed systems,
especially designed for microservices, cloud native and container-based (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos) architectures.
Underlying technology is a distributed tracing system.

Last RC release broke in IPMC vote, because our source release LICENSE and NOTICE have issues[1],
which are fixed in this release.

Vote Thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/442a5fc5a6b987c081e3932c967489fc746bf5ce887dfa5d5130d602@%3Cdev.skywalking.apache.org%3E

Release notes:

* https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/master/CHANGES.md#500-rc

Release Candidate:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/skywalking/5.0.0-RC2/
* sha512 checksums
- 867f66cbbda4d54c2ce8be2ae1b24f7f9fca745a8ccbb8a5a3689be86fbb47411125c65f9dc6b870f61847abc805376cdcb53952b406bf7f204af80fdf5ceacc apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC2-src.tgz
- a02a44da7090af2f958f5d7816ec7b8d1b379c91e6fc52d35259ca3ad4396c7663e0c64b3652426ca2ad4953e5c1a2f5db1c138ca6f9c411b5f3cd014a785831 apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC2.tar.gz
- 9a66409411e89f6eec2bc173187971fdea803d5d81450b5f74311902938564c66215c239e400cb2db91324d9e9903f59e8acb46c5a1c1e5f3e189ffa25e74124 apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-RC2.zip

Maven 2 staging repository:

* https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheskywalking-1020/org/apache/skywalking/

Release Tag :

* (GitHub Tag) https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/tree/v5.0.0-RC2

Release CommitID :

* https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/tree/30fad9f822e96dfa4d8018b3f7b32e4f11521263
* Git submodule
* skywalking-ui: https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking-ui/tree/ad3ee45dbadfae35d77238bdd7a1df593158f109
* apm-protocol/apm-network/src/main/proto: https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking-data-collect-protocol/tree/c02c12af12116121e25155d1f3fca0fadee5f2e9

Keys to verify the Release Candidate :

* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/skywalking/KEYS corresponding to wusheng@apache.org

Guide to build the release from source :

* https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/v5.0.0-RC2/docs/en/How-to-build.md
* `docs/en/How-to-build.md` in source release.

Voting will start now (2018/9/8 date) and will remain open for at least 72 hours, Request IPMC to give their vote.
[ ] +1 Release this package.
[ ] +0 No opinion.
[ ] -1 Do not release this package because....

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9a16dac30bf74d6aa96ee23e1b35edd040f468ef536ad155e50c97b8@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
>  - how come the binary comes in zip format but the source does not.

Just someone write the release script doesn't write that part. No special reason. Maybe add it, too?

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>
Date: Wed,Sep 12,2018 6:33 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2

> Voting will start now (2018/9/8 date) and will remain open for at least
> 72 hours, Request IPMC to give their vote.
> [ ] +1 Release this package.
> [ ] +0 No opinion.
> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because....

+1

Checked
 - sha512s ok
 - checked maven artefacts
 - source artefact builds
 - source artefact contents
 - DISCLAIMER, LICENSE and NOTICE files

Question:
 - how come the binary comes in zip format but the source does not.

regards,
Mick

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Binding)

1. Checked signed key and sha512 of source and binary package of
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/skywalking
2. Source code build successfully
3. Checked the artifacts in the staging repository
4. LICENSE and NOTICE are OK in source code and distribution package
5. Apache RAT checked
6. DISCLAIMER existed

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
+1

* SHA 512 checksums are present and valid
* Signatures are valid
* The expanded source archive builds and passes tests
* Expanded source archives match the contents of the RC tags
* All LICENSE and NOTICE files are present and correct, including the
MIT stuff detected in the previous IPMC vote
* Incubator DISCLAIMER is present
* There are no binary files bundled in the source archives
* Signing keys are available in public PGP servers.

The README still contains a broken in the "Compiling" section, but I
don't consider it a blocker for the release. The document is in the
source release and also properly linked from the main "English
Document" page (linked from the README too) and it is trivial to
find.On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 at 19:19, Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> First of all, there is a direct link to that build page, in README of
> master and 5.x branches. See
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking#compiling-project
> We have both links to document and compiling guide.

This is excellent in my opinion.
From the terminal I can read the README.md which clearly states:

> # Compiling project
> Follow this [document](docs/en/guides/How-to-build.md).

Then opening, again from the terminal, `docs/en/guides/How-to-build.md` gives me everything i need to know.

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
We already only post source tar link in website. They are potential developers, because they code plugins for many open source or commercial libs.

> Sounds to me like it's easier to compile official releases and that you should be trying to release more often perhaps?

Actually, yes. We discussed before in our community. We didn't want to release too often, like 1-2 weeks per releaae. Because that will burn the dev and ipmc people to do vote and check again and again. 😂

So we keep the release per 1 or 2 months. And let developer to build by themself.

Btw, they perfer GitHub because it is easier to pull request new plugin and bug fix.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
Date: Sun,Sep 9,2018 0:18 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Hi,

I’m not involved in your project, and I may be mistaken, but it seems to me you might have a wider issue here.

> Besides that, because many users are using git clone tag as sources too, although in Apache, we consider our source tar only. But in the community, they really use in another way, in our github issue, many compiling issue, even after we put this detailed guide.

So point them to the official releases and don’t promote the use of GitHub over other official channels, especially to users. I was surprised by that page when I saw instructions for GitHub first. Why would your users want to use unreleased source code? That should really only be for active contributors and committers on the project.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi, Justin,

First of all, there is a direct link to that build page, in README of master and 5.x branches. See
https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking#compiling-project
We have both links to document and compiling guide.

Besides that, because many users are using git clone tag as sources too, although in Apache, we consider our source tar only. But in the community, they really use in another way, in our github issue, many compiling issue, even after we put this detailed guide.

Background story is, in our project repository, we are using git submodule, so we need the guide as detailed as possible. Such as git submodule init, git submodule update, etc.

That is why we build a long guide abouy how to build for convenience users.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
Date: Sun,Sep 9,2018 9:26 AM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Hi,

> Check our two major code branches,
> - master https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking

In which README no longer contains any build instruction or direct pointers to them. I don’t think this is an improvement.

So now I need to stop looking at the terminal, open up a browser, goto GitHub and look at the README.md there. I need to know to click on “Documents”, one page into that content, then read through two pages before finding a link on building, click on that and then read how to build from GitHub (not what I want) and then finally find after that it’s a single line "./mvnw clean package -DskipTests”. Why not just put that single line in the README?

> - 5.x https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/tree/5.x

As above.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the detailed review, Justin. It is really appreciated. As I
commented in the PPMC vote:

"The README still contains a broken in the "Compiling" section, but I
wouldn't consider it a blocker for the release. The document is in the
source release and also properly linked from the main "English
Document" page (linked from the README too)."

Actually, the "Full docs" link appears in the README *before* the compiling
section, and in that link (which is not broken) there is a "Development"
section with the build instructions. That is so trivial to find (I found it
really quickly when verifying the broken link) that I don't think the
release should be blocked for this.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

The vote for releasing Apache SkyWalking 5.0.0-RC2 (incubating) is closed, now.

Vote result:
3 (+1 binding) (Ignasi, Mick and William)

Thank you everyone for taking the time to review the release and help us.

I will process to publish the release and send ANNOUNCE.

Justin,
   Our 5.x branch and master branch compiling document links have been fixed already, will be included in next release.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking