Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/03/21 16:49:54 UTC

Jenkins CI is setup and mostly working

Hi Everyone,

I've setup three Jenkins jobs
1) https://builds.apache.org/job/Knox-master/
2) https://builds.apache.org/job/Knox-master-site/
3) https://builds.apache.org/job/Knox-master-release/

Job #1 is setup to poll Git every 15 minutes and will 'mvn clean
install' automatically.
This is our CI.  Now I need to figure out how to send build results via
email.  Stay tuned.

Job #2 runs 'mvn site' and I hope to be able to use various reports from
that like code coverage, find bugs, RAT, etc.
This requires a manual start for now since it is rather expensive. Once
it shows some value perhaps I'll schedule it daily.

Job #3 runs 'ant release' and I hope to have as much as possible
automatically generate release builds.  This is also a manual job and
will likely stay that way.
Right now this job is failing because the build env doesn't use Maven 3
and we use a plugin that requires it.  I've filed a bug but
upgrading Maven in the build env isn't something that infra is going to
take lightly.  I'm going to seek alternatives.  Expect a [DISCUSS] thread.
     INFRA-6035: Upgrade build infra to Maven 3
Unfortunately this means we still don't have a way to generate a binary
distribution for people to play with/test without building it themselves.

FYI there is also another issue that the Maven Git plugin is not
installed/configured on at least the solaris1 build machine. Therefore I
had to tie our builds to Ubuntu.  We might want to add Windows and osx,
but for now I know Ubuntu is working.
     INFRA-6034: Git not properly configured on at least solaris1

Kevin.

Re: Jenkins CI is setup and mostly working

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Kevin,

On 3/21/13 8:49 AM, "Kevin Minder" <ke...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I've setup three Jenkins jobs
>1) https://builds.apache.org/job/Knox-master/
>2) https://builds.apache.org/job/Knox-master-site/
>3) https://builds.apache.org/job/Knox-master-release/
>
>Job #1 is setup to poll Git every 15 minutes and will 'mvn clean
>install' automatically.
>This is our CI.  Now I need to figure out how to send build results via
>email.  Stay tuned.

+1 I think we're good here.

>Job #2 runs 'mvn site' and I hope to be able to use various reports from
>that like code coverage, find bugs, RAT, etc.
>This requires a manual start for now since it is rather expensive. Once
>it shows some value perhaps I'll schedule it daily.

Do we want to have this as http://knox.incubator.apache.org/  or is that
published separately?

>Job #3 runs 'ant release' and I hope to have as much as possible
>automatically generate release builds.  This is also a manual job and
>will likely stay that way.
>Right now this job is failing because the build env doesn't use Maven 3
>and we use a plugin that requires it.  I've filed a bug but
>upgrading Maven in the build env isn't something that infra is going to
>take lightly.  I'm going to seek alternatives.  Expect a [DISCUSS] thread.
>     INFRA-6035: Upgrade build infra to Maven 3
>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6035
>Unfortunately this means we still don't have a way to generate a binary
>distribution for people to play with/test without building it themselves.

first).
Then please request that they install on some build slave Maven3. Then you
can select that build slave in the Jenkins job by labeling it.

>FYI there is also another issue that the Maven Git plugin is not
>installed/configured on at least the solaris1 build machine. Therefore I
>had to tie our builds to Ubuntu.  We might want to add Windows and osx,
>but for now I know Ubuntu is working.
>     INFRA-6034: Git not properly configured on at least solaris1
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6034

Nice! I think they'll refer both of the above issues to builds@apache.org,
so probably worth just sending the emails there now to the peeps that are
maintaining jenkins-ci for the ASF.

Great work.

Cheers,
Chris