Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> on 2007/04/12 15:28:44 UTC

how about integrate profiling into development module?

hi!

i was wondering, would it make sense to integrate the profiling module
into the development module?

if so, should we introduce a new top-level menu item "development"?
currently, "profiling" goes under "file", but only in the admin area
(dunno why i did that, seems stupid now that i think of it), and "show
log" ends up in "help", which is also weird.

that said, for "show log" i see
http://localhost:8888/default/authoring/news.html?lenya.module=development&lenya.action=showLog
.
is this still recommended or a 1.2 leftover that should be deprecated
and removed? imo, it's not nice, since it's a totally new and unrelated
page, and that should be reflected in the base URI, not the querystring.
so what about /default/modules/development/log.txt instead?

regards,

jörn

Re: how about integrate profiling into development module?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> hi!
>
> i was wondering, would it make sense to integrate the profiling module
> into the development module?

-0.5

It certainly addresses a development issue, but I prefer granular
modules. Maybe more development-related functions are to come, and I
don't think we should put all of them into a single module.

Maybe we have to add module tags (categories) someday.

> if so, should we introduce a new top-level menu item "development"?

+1

> currently, "profiling" goes under "file", but only in the admin area
> (dunno why i did that, seems stupid now that i think of it), and "show
> log" ends up in "help", which is also weird.
>
> that said, for "show log" i see
> http://localhost:8888/default/authoring/news.html?lenya.module=development&lenya.action=showLog
>
> .
> is this still recommended or a 1.2 leftover that should be deprecated
> and removed?

Neither of them, the lenya.module parameter was the first approach
to access a module that came into my mind.

> imo, it's not nice, since it's a totally new and unrelated
> page, and that should be reflected in the base URI, not the querystring.
> so what about /default/modules/development/log.txt instead?

Yes, this would be a better URL.

Or maybe /modules/development/log4j.log:

- the publication isn't important
- it would be clearer which log file is shown

-- Andreas