Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/02 17:12:44 UTC

Re: Medal from Swedish computer magazine

Martin,

Thank you very much for recognizing Apache OpenOffice on your Top 20 list.

Would you consider writing an article about our project? There are several
ways we could work together to do this. One way is for you to send us a
list of your interview questions. We will reply on email and you will then
be able to edit your final draft more easily. Or, if you prefer, I can
organize an interview with some of our project volunteers who are most
close to the work.

We highly value your support and look forward to communicating with our
user community in Sweden.

Best regards,

Don Harbison
Volunteer Press Liaison
Apache OpenOffice

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Nice medal.

I notice a couple of things.  Their OpenOffice page features OO.o 3.3.0.  They do link to sv.openoffice.org (landing at www.openoffice.org/sv/) though.

That Swedish page of ours is out of date -- the latest news, apart from the 3.4.0 banner at the top, is on the release of 3.1.

The page also doesn't automatically translate with Bing Translate, which I find interesting as well.  I was able to coax it but there are whole paragraphs not translated.  I didn't try pasting into Google translate.

I wonder if there is a need for language tags somewhere in the HTTP response headers and/or HTML <head> tags.

 - Dennis

> Thank you very much for recognizing Apache OpenOffice on your Top 20 list.

Great.  I've added this to our awards page:
http://www.openoffice.org/awards/index.html

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thank you very much for recognizing Apache OpenOffice on your Top 20 list.

Great.  I've added this to our awards page:
http://www.openoffice.org/awards/index.html

-Rob

> Would you consider writing an article about our project? There are several
> ways we could work together to do this. One way is for you to send us a
> list of your interview questions. We will reply on email and you will then
> be able to edit your final draft more easily. Or, if you prefer, I can
> organize an interview with some of our project volunteers who are most
> close to the work.
>
> We highly value your support and look forward to communicating with our
> user community in Sweden.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Don Harbison
> Volunteer Press Liaison
> Apache OpenOffice
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM, <ma...@idg.se> wrote:
>
>> Dear sirs,
>>
>> My name is Martin Appel and I am a journalist at Swedens largest computer
>> magazine PC för Alla (pcforalla.se).
>>
>> PC för Alla has one of the most popular download sites for free programs
>> in the Nordic region, and we have just put together some statistics for our
>> downloads.
>>
>> I am glad to inform you that Openoffice is one of the programs on our "Top
>> 20-list"
>>
>> You can see the entire list and an article (in Swedish) on
>> pcforalla.se/topp20.
>>
>> If you want to use the medal you are free to download and use it (as long
>> as you do not modify it of course). You can download it here:
>> http://ftp.idg.se/pfa/hogupplosta_bilder/Topp20%20varen2012.pdf
>>
>> "Våren" is the Swedish word for spring, and "Topp" is spelled like that in
>> Swedish! :-)
>>
>> Congratulations, and have a nice summer!
>>

>> Martin Appel
>> editor

Re: Medal from Swedish computer magazine

Posted by ma...@idg.se.
Hello Donald!

We are not planning to write any articles about free software right now,
but I am saving your e-mail address for the next time...

But I have one question at once. I received it from one of our readers,
and I realised that I cannot give a correct answer.

The reader asked about the difference between Openoffice and Libreoffice?
It looks like the same program - so what are the differences for a user?

Regards,

Martin Appel