Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/09/01 20:20:13 UTC

Re: IDEA block cipher inclusion via the "bouncy castle" JCE provider

At 05:32 PM 8/31/2005, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>--On August 30, 2005 9:58:58 AM -0400 Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com> wrote:
>
>>This seems to be the most reasonable approach. I would argue today that
>>BC is not open source, by the OSI definition
>>(http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php) due to the presence of
>>the IDEA algorithm in their distribition. They are violating their own
>>license.
>
>One of the reasons I'm no longer a fan of the MIT/X11 licenses is because they don't consider patents.  This is just one more example of how the world has changed and those licenses need to be frowned upon.  -- justin

But that is a non sequitur.  Patent language in the licences
will only provide address specific cases and repercussions,
it is not a blank check to avoid all IP issues :)  The fact
that it's there is only protecting you from willful harm
by the developers, and not that well at that.

Bill