Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ching Chen <CC...@teleias.com> on 2002/11/11 17:22:17 UTC

Jetspeed Proxy set up question

Hello everyone,

We are trying to deploy Jetspeed from behind a proxy and firewall. We are
able to proxy to the login screen which is a stand alone JSP, and we are
able to login and display the first page of our site, however, all the links
from that point on point to the local server (behind the firewall) not to
the proxy, and are therefore unreachable outside of our environment. Has
anyone had this problem? Is there a solution?

Thank you.
Ching Chen
Teleias Inc.

Re: Jetspeed Proxy set up question

Posted by Jeff Sexton <js...@odshealthplans.com>.
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Ching Chen wrote:
> We are trying to deploy Jetspeed from behind a proxy and firewall. We are
> able to proxy to the login screen which is a stand alone JSP, and we are
> able to login and display the first page of our site, however, all the links
> from that point on point to the local server (behind the firewall) not to
> the proxy, and are therefore unreachable outside of our environment. Has
> anyone had this problem? Is there a solution?

I spent a lot of time on this.  You are supposed to be able to set an
environment variable to control this, CATALINA_OPTS, to, for example:

-DproxySet=true -DproxyHost=[hostname] -DproxyPort=[port#] -nonProxyHosts=[hosts]

nonProxyHosts are supposed to be separated with a '|'.  For example, I
used:

-nonProxyHosts=*.odshp.com|localhost

This doesn't work however.  The proxy settings do work, but then you don't
get internal sources.  If you take the proxy settings out (no
CATALINA_OPTS)  then you get internal sites of course, but nothing that
must be proxied.  I tried this with various versions of Tomcat, Jetspeed
and java.  My solution ultimately was to point Jetspeed at a squid server
as a proxy, then use the squid server to control which requests went to
the firewall.  That worked fine.  Squid is quite easy to setup, even if
you have not used it before.