Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jam Luo <co...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/08 09:23:39 UTC

How to add shard in 4.2-snapshot

Hi
I use the 4.2-snapshot version, git sha id is
f4502778b263849a827e89e45d37b33861f225f9 . I deploy a cluster by SolrCloud,
there is 3 node,one core per node,they are in defferent shard. the JVM
argument is -DnumShards=3.
Now I must add mechine and add shard, but I start new solr instance and
change the argument numShards=4, the count of shard  do not change.

How to add shard in this version? In 4.0, I increase numShards, the new
solr instance will in a new shard, but now it is inoperative.

Re: How to add shard in 4.2-snapshot

Posted by Jam Luo <co...@gmail.com>.
I build indexes by  EmbeddedSolrServer, then move them to the online
system. The online system do not add new Documents. So the hashcode range
is not important, I need add shard only. how do I customise it?

thanks

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
A vote is happening now - it will likely be early this week.

- Mark

Posted by adfel70 <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 8, 2013, at 12:23 AM, Jam Luo <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I use the 4.2-snapshot version, git sha id is
> f4502778b263849a827e89e45d37b33861f225f9 . I deploy a cluster by SolrCloud,
> there is 3 node,one core per node,they are in defferent shard. the JVM
> argument is -DnumShards=3.
> Now I must add mechine and add shard, but I start new solr instance and
> change the argument numShards=4, the count of shard  do not change.
>
> How to add shard in this version? In 4.0, I increase numShards, the new
> solr instance will in a new shard, but now it is inoperative.

Unless you control sharding yourself, you cannot currently add shards without some reindexing. Shard splitting is a feature that is coming soon though. You can easily add replicas currently, but not shards.

You can control shards yourself by not using numShards.

- Mark