Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Arvind Srinivasan <lu...@ziplip.com> on 2005/05/23 02:04:37 UTC

One Byte is Seven bits too many? - A Design suggestion

One Byte is Seven bits too many? - A Design suggestion

Hi,

The norm takes up 1 byte of storage per document per field.  While this may seem
very small, a simple calculation shows that the IndexSearcher can consume lots of
memory when it caches the norms. Further, the current implementation loads up the
norms in memory as soon as the segments gets loaded.  Here are the calculations:

	For Medium sized archives
	docs=40Million, Fields=2  =>  80MB memory
	docs=40Million, Fields=10 => 400MB memory
	docs=40Million, Fields=20 => 800MB memory

	For larger sized archives

	docs=400Million, Fields=2  =>  800MB memory
	docs=400Million, Fields=10 =>  ~4GB memory
	docs=400Million, Fields=20 =>  ~8GB memory

To further compound the issues, we have found JVM performance drops when the memory
that it manages increases.

While the storage itself may not be concern, the runtime memory requirement can use
some optimization, especially for large number of fields.
The fields itself may fall in one of 3 categories

 (a) Tokenized fields have huge variance in number of Tokens,
     example - HTML page, Mail Body etc.
 (b) Tokenized fields with very little variance in number of token,
     example - HTML Page Title, Mail Subject etc.
 (c) Fixed Tokenized Fields
     example - Department, City, State etc.

The one byte usage is very applicable for (a) and not for (b) or (c).  In typical
usage, field increases can be attributed to (b) and (c).

Two solutions come to mind:

(1) If there is forethought in the field design, then one can prefix the field tokens
and then reduce the number of fields.  Of course, this will add the overhead of
embarrassing explanation to every query writer of why to add Prefix for every token.
If however, this prefix can be done underneath, it may work but still not elegant.

(2)  The norm values for (c) has only two values. One is 0 when the field is not present,
and the other value is a fixed one.  In this scenario, the memory requirement
is only one bit per doc per field. I would argue that even for (b) one can approximate the
value with one bit and not much loose much in ranking of documents.

Several implementation options are possible:

(a) We can implement the approximation at the time of writing index (Backward compatibility
has to be considered)
(b) Use a bitset instead of an array  for search purposes.  I have been
wanting to do for the last 6 months, but have found time yet.  If I do, will submit an
implementation.

Also, if a field is mandatory, then the 0 scenario never occurs and in this situation, we
use a single constant to represent the array. May be One byte is 8 bits too many:-))

Arvind.

Re: One Byte is Seven bits too many? - A Design suggestion

Posted by Paul Elschot <pa...@xs4all.nl>.
On Monday 23 May 2005 02:04, Arvind Srinivasan wrote:
> One Byte is Seven bits too many? - A Design suggestion
>
> Hi,
>
> The norm takes up 1 byte of storage per document per field.  While this may
seem
> very small, a simple calculation shows that the IndexSearcher can consume
lots of
> memory when it caches the norms. Further, the current implementation loads
up the
> norms in memory as soon as the segments gets loaded.  Here are the
calculations:

> 	For Medium sized archives
> 	docs=40Million, Fields=2  =>  80MB memory
> 	docs=40Million, Fields=10 => 400MB memory
> 	docs=40Million, Fields=20 => 800MB memory
>
> 	For larger sized archives
>
> 	docs=400Million, Fields=2  =>  800MB memory
> 	docs=400Million, Fields=10 =>  ~4GB memory
> 	docs=400Million, Fields=20 =>  ~8GB memory
>

> To further compound the issues, we have found JVM performance drops when the
memory
> that it manages increases.
>
> While the storage itself may not be concern, the runtime memory requirement
can use
> some optimization, especially for large number of fields.
> The fields itself may fall in one of 3 categories
>
>  (a) Tokenized fields have huge variance in number of Tokens,
>      example - HTML page, Mail Body etc.
>  (b) Tokenized fields with very little variance in number of token,
>      example - HTML Page Title, Mail Subject etc.
>  (c) Fixed Tokenized Fields
>      example - Department, City, State etc.
>

> The one byte usage is very applicable for (a) and not for (b) or (c).  In
typical
> usage, field increases can be attributed to (b) and (c).

(c) would also be a nice fit for the recently discussed constant scoring
queries.  For (b) the relative variance and the influence and on the score
is still high. Perhaps a mixed form with a minimum field length in a single
bit could be considered there, but addressing that might be costly.

Regards,
Paul Elschot.

Re: One Byte is Seven bits too many? - A Design suggestion

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Robert Engels wrote:
> I have always thought that the norms should be an interface, rather than
> fixed, as there are many uses of lucene where norms are not necessary, and
> the memory overhead is substantial.

I agree, but that's not the whole story.

If one seeks merely to avoid caching the norms in RAM, then all that is
required is a Scorer that does not access the norms.  Thus an
implementation of the constant scoring query proposal (discussed in
another thread) would suffice to save memory at search time.

Long term, I would like Lucene to have an extensible index format.  One
should be able to have different fields use different representations,
e.g., without norms, without positions, with a boost per position, with
alternate compression algorithms, etc.  (This is item 11 on
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard, which I doubt
will be a part of Lucene 2.0.)

Doug

RE: One Byte is Seven bits too many? - A Design suggestion

Posted by Robert Engels <re...@ix.netcom.com>.