Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org> on 2004/05/25 20:29:52 UTC

Bug in creating tar.gz files?

In the subversion-1.0.4.tar.gz there are two  top level dirs

subversion/
subversion-1.0.4/

I assume that the subversion/ is a mistake.

Barry

Re: Bug in creating tar.gz files?

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 07:57:18AM +0200, Patrick Mayweg wrote:
> Branko ??ibej wrote:
>
> >Patrick Mayweg wrote:
> >
> >>If we are doing releases in zip format, I would like to have
> >>apr-iconv in there. An important difference between the apache
> >>tarballs and zips is that the zip contains apr-iconv. We need
> >>apr-iconv for the windows build, don't we?
> >

> >Yes, but there's no reason not to put apr_iconv into the regular tarball.
>
> Just size.

I can include apr_iconv in the .zip file.  I don't see a reason to make
the tarballs bigger when the tarballs aren't terribly useful to Windows
people right now anyway.

So the following things are the differences in the .zip distribution:

* CRLF line endings.
* apr_iconv

Anything else?

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: Bug in creating tar.gz files?

Posted by Patrick Mayweg <ma...@qint.de>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

> Patrick Mayweg wrote:
>
>> If we are doing releases in zip format, I would like to have
>> apr-iconv in there. An important difference between the apache
>> tarballs and zips is that the zip contains apr-iconv. We need
>> apr-iconv for the windows build, don't we?
>

> Yes, but there's no reason not to put apr_iconv into the regular tarball.

Just size.
Patrick

Re: Bug in creating tar.gz files?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Patrick Mayweg <ma...@qint.de>.
Hi Branko,

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

> On Windows, the commonly used programming editors (UltraEdit,
> SlickEdit, Visual Studio, Emacs, YouNameIt) all handle files with unix
> EOL correctly,

That should be "show files with Unix end-of-lines correctly". Some of
them mangle the eol's when changing the file. But the tarball is not for
changing files, it's for compiling binaries.

Re: Bug in creating tar.gz files?

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:36:24PM +0100, Branko ??ibej wrote:
> I wonder if we really need that. On Windows, the commonly used
> programming editors (UltraEdit, SlickEdit, Visual Studio, Emacs,
> YouNameIt) all handle files with unix EOL correctly, and our .dsp
> generator makes sure the line endings in the project files are correct.
> I always build release binaries from the unixish release tarball. We
> don't _have_ to create another (identical) package which differs only in
> line endings, and it's a nuisance.
>
> APR needs this because they keep the .dsp's in the tree and refuse to
> disable newline conversion in CVS; so does httpd. We don't.

I think the rationale is people expect it to be in CRLF if we're
providing a zip file.  Since, I spent the time to implement the option
to export, I don't really see a reason not to do it.

Doing the .zip file is handy anyway for the Windows people since WinZip
doesn't like our tarballs.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 09:29:52PM +0100, Barry Scott wrote:
> In the subversion-1.0.4.tar.gz there are two  top level dirs
>
> subversion/
> subversion-1.0.4/
>
> I assume that the subversion/ is a mistake.

No you're using a non-POSIX compliant tar program:
$ gzip -dc subversion-1.0.4.tar.gz | tar tvf - | grep -E '^subversion/'

produces no output.  So far we know that mc and WinZip don't comply.
When we get to 1.1.0 we'll start doing releases in zip format too
because we'll have --native-eol for export.

Search the archives for past discussion of this issue for the details.