Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> on 2007/11/13 14:43:30 UTC

servlet-api jar proposed change

When the embedded Tomcat server starts, it produces a series of warnings
as shown in the "->" markings below.

      [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:56 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
      [java] INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.10
      [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:56 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig defaultWebConfig
      [java] INFO: No default web.xml
->   [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
->   [java] WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/jsp_2_0.xsd
->   [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
->   [java] WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd
->   [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
->   [java] WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/web-jsptaglibrary_1_2.dtd
->   [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
->   [java] WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/jsp/resources/web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd
->   [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.catalina.startup.DigesterFactory register
->   [java] WARNING: Could not get url for /javax/servlet/resources/j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
      [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
      [java] INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8085
      [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
      [java] INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8085
      [java] 13-Nov-2007 11:57:57 org.apache.tuscany.sca.http.tomcat.TomcatServer addServletMapping
      [java] INFO: Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8085/HelloWorldService

I have tracked down the cause of these warnings.  The servlet-api jar that we
are using is not the servlet-api jar that comes with Tomcat.  We are using the
Sun reference implementation for this jar, and this does not contain all the
resources expected by Tomcat.  These missing resources cause the warnings to
be produced.

To eliminate the warnings, the following changes are needed:
1) Use a different servlet-api jar that contains all the necessary servlet
    resources.
2) For the embedded Tomcat environment, also include a jsp-api jar so that
    the jsp-related resources can be picked up from this jar.

For 1), there are many possible jars we could use.  After some investigation,
it seems that the servlet-api jar that ships with Geronimo is the best choice,
as it contains all the necessary resources and has an Apache license with no
dependency on Sun code.  For 2), the jsp-api jar from Geronimo also seems to
be a good choice for similar reasons.

At the moment, many SCA poms contain a mixture of "provided" and "test"
references to the 2.4 and 2.5 levels of servlet-api.  I don't see any
reason for this mixture (a "compile" dependency would be a different matter).
The only modules with "compile" dependencies are host-tomcat and host-jetty,
and these are already using 2.5 (the Sun version).  I went through the poms
changing all of the servlet-api dependencies to use the Geronimo 2.5 version,
and I also added a Geronimo jsp-api 2.1 dependency to host-tomcat.  With
these changes, everything builds OK and runs in both the embedded and
webapp environments, including both Tomcat 5.5.x and 6.0.x, with no warning
messages.

Does anyone have any concerns about my putting these changes into trunk?

   Simon

Re: servlet-api jar proposed change

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
It seems that we should stick with the 2.5 version and use the jar from
geronimo. Please note "provided" scope is used for compilation too.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
IIRC that method was needed as otherwise something was getting an error when
running with the 2.5 API but I can't remember the exact details, would need
to test it, but it should be ignored when running in a pre-2.5 container the
method being on the dummy config but not part of the implemented interface.

   ...ant

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ignacio Silva-Lepe <is...@gmail.com>.