Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andreas Deller <an...@ergon.ch> on 2007/01/10 13:52:55 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.30/5.0.28 empty responses - return code "200 -"

Hi

Sporadically, I experience that the layout of my application
is messed up. I found out that this is based on missing GIFs
and CSS. In the access logs, there are a number of entries
with the HTTP status code "200 -". So the response is OK,
but no content length is logged, and no content is sent
to the browser.

Example:
192.168.11.11 - - [05/Jan/2007:11:23:59 +0100] "GET
/ebanking/css/custom.css HTTP/1.1" 200 -
"https://some.bank.ch/ebanking/login" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

According to RFC 2616, the server should send back content:
- GET an entity corresponding to the requested resource is sent
in the response;
- POST an entity describing or containing the result of the action;

I've checked the Tomcat doc, FAQ, Google ('tomcat empty reply',
'tomcat "200 -"' 'access log "200 -"'), the mailing lists at
MARC (same keywords) and Nabble (same keywords), to no avail.
The problem turns up regardless of the load on the server, but
only with static files. The systems:

Server OS:      Solaris 9
Tomcat:         4.1.30 and 5.0.28
Server JDK:     1.4.2_06
Server:         Ultra10, V120, other
Client:         Probably irrelevant, occurred at least on
                 Firefox/Win, Firefox/debian, IE/Win, all through a
		reverse proxy.

Since nobody else seems to have this problem, I seem to do
sth wrong. Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks
         Andy Deller

--
andreas.deller@ergon.ch  Tel +41 44 268 89 61 Fax +41 44 261 27 50
Ergon Informatik AG, Kleinstrasse 15, CH-8008 Zürich