Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/02 14:29:56 UTC

Re: cleaning up clutch?

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Benson Margulies wrote:
>> Please remind me of how to edit the clutch. It has an obsolete remark
>> about river.
>
> Clutch just needs to be re-run occasionally.
> See http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#notes
>
> Regarding "River":
> http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#other
> There is still stuff in their old "dist" directory
> so the comment does still apply.

No one from River is going to be nudged by the clutch page, and the
ex-mentors are, well, ex-mentors. So I faintly dispute the utility of
this. Faintly.

Re: cleaning up clutch?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Benson Margulies wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Benson Margulies wrote:
> >
> > Regarding "River":
> > http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#other
> > There is still stuff in their old "dist" directory
> > so the comment does still apply.
>
> No one from River is going to be nudged by the clutch page, and the
> ex-mentors are, well, ex-mentors. So I faintly dispute the utility of
> this. Faintly.

It is an indicator of malaise.

The aim of Clutch is to assist us all, ex-podlings included,
to keep the Incubator flowing. I expect us to be encouraging
these new people to be self-reliant, to keep certain key
information up-to-date, to clean up their old resources,
and to fix documentation and processes on their way.
Having those type of people will enable the whole ASF to be
more efficient.

By this stage of a new project's life, their mentors should
not need to be involved at all. I reckon that neither the mentors
nor IPMC should need to do anything for their post-graduation.

I actually want to enhance Clutch to look for completion
of other departure clean up. (Gradually, sometime.)

Its intent is to be encouraging. I have considered sending
a non-automated email to their new dev lists at some stage
after their graduation.

Henk has been doing that via his own tools, which is helping
to keep the distribution mirrors clean.

-David

Re: cleaning up clutch?

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.