Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com> on 2003/03/23 23:31:02 UTC

[OT] struts/hibernate in Oracle mag

This mail is really like a [FRIDAY] coming on Sunday.  I just
couldn't wait until next Friday to talk about it.  I recommend all
business conscious or just curious struts developers/users to check
out the Jan/Feb 2003 edition of Oracle magazine for a horde of
articles on Struts.  Sure, most of them just skim the surface with
HelloWorld type examples and boasting how Oracle supports it (I
personally use Eclipse as my IDE).  Anyway, it is neat to see all
the support for Struts.

My question comes regarding an article entitled "Advances in Java's
Relationship to Data".  The article covers how JDBC is "hard-coded"
SQL and Entity EJB are heavy and very much abstracted from the data.
Then, it presents a middle ground which the article refers to as
"Java Objects" or persistent objects.  From what I read about
Hibernate compared to the discussion in this article, it seems that
this is what Hibernate is all about.  Am I right?  The equivalent
Oracle product is called TopLink.  If Hibernate is indeed what they
are talking about, I am going with it.  Right now I use Torque,
which I definitely like, but Hibernate has more activity and examples
and seems to be a little bit more well thought out.  But that isn't
to say Torque isn't good at all.  Anyway, getting off topic.

Now for my honoring of the guard.  Thank you Struts
developers/users and congratulations.  Everyone here deserves it!

Check it out.

Dan

Daniel Allen, <da...@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/