Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2019/03/12 09:28:07 UTC

Improve ASF o boarding

Hi all,

when we set out the list of things we want to talk through before doing a vote on the FoundationDB proposal was improving our onboarding situation.

Thanks to Isabel Drost-Fromm from the ASF, I found out that one angle of this is currently under development already: training materials for companies that want employees to get into ASF projects. As far as I can see there isn’t anything available just yet, but it looks like we’ll get one or more companies’ existing onboarding material made available for all ASF projects.

While this doesn’t cover CouchDB specific project onboarding, or anything in particular to the FDB proposal, it’s a major step forward.

Here are a few links to follow along (some of these require ASF membership):

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/98abf47b0b93237675e0040e1e091642f7eca6a161c164adb5f5c91f@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6a7d7204fc6689b745b85e47f9e6d5ea2cb1457c775c42985c3c2158@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0c43536299c67458f316919b89319169157266703f1e0c0cda6513e8@%3Cprivate.kafka.apache.org%3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFNE0IpKOxU

https://developer.ibm.com/videos/angel-diaz-keynote-at-open-source-summit-2018/

Best
Jan
—

Re: Improve ASF onboarding

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Thanks for these links, Jan. Nice to see the the training podling has
started, though it'll be a few months before we see assets coming out of
that I think.

From the YouTube video this slide deck was shared:

  https://www.slideshare.net/alanfgates/hortonworks-apache-training

What I'm taking from this is that a lot of disparate employers have had
to pick up the pieces around Apache orientation, and that the ASF
themselves haven't done a great job in consolidating that info to date.

Now, it looks like these things are much better in hand, and there's a
path forward towards better on-boarding of those enterprise employees.

So: how do we attract more people to get involved in our humble
project? :) That's the $20,000 question.

-Joan