Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/11 07:55:44 UTC

GitHub Actions and integration tests, we have a problem!

Hi Bookkeepers,
I think that we have a big problem with GitHub Actions and integration tests.

I have sent a dummy PR but Integration Tests fail with a timeout
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/2262

Many times such Integration tests fail with the same result.
I should add that with github actions only committers can re-run
checks and this is a problem for contributors

AFAIK Integration tests spawn a few docker containers for bookies
(different versions) and zookeeper.

Honestly I am not able to run all of them on some machine with low
resources (like only 2 cores) and the error is the same (see below)

Questions:
- is GitHub actions a right place for Integration Tests ?
- is there any way to improve our integrations tests (I don't know,
the cost is about simply starting the full cluster, not in the tests
themselves) ? is it worth ?
- how can we fix this blocker problem ? we could increase the timeout
? in my PR I have increased it of 100% without success
- is there anyway to see docker container logs on github actions ?

Enrico

Tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.25 sec
301There are no tests to run.
302
303Results :
304
305Tests run: 0, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0
306
307[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.21.0:test
(default-test) on project smoke: There was a timeout or other error in
the fork -> [Help 1]
308[ERROR]
309[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven
with the -e switch.
310[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
311[ERROR]
312[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible
solutions, please read the following articles:
313[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureException
314[ERROR]
315[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build
with the command
316[ERROR] mvn <args> -rf :smoke

Re: GitHub Actions and integration tests, we have a problem!

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Atri
Thank you so much your feedback is very useful

Enrico

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
I approved the Pr — can not reproduce the issue after multiple runs after
applying the fix

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 15:02, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have pushed the revert (thanks Sijie for review)
>
> Now this is the last blocker from my point of view:
> https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/2266
>
> Enrico
>
> Il giorno sab 15 feb 2020 alle ore 10:41 Enrico Olivelli
> <eo...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> >
> > I think I have found the root cause
> >
> > This is my fix
> > https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/2265
> >
> > It is simply a revert of a patch over main Bookkeeper shell script
> >
> > Enrico
> >
> > Il Ven 14 Feb 2020, 10:17 Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
> >>
> >> Thank you Guangning.
> >>
> >> I feel we need someone who picks up this serious issue.
> >> I see integration tests failing mostly for every pull request.
> >>
> >> I am sorry I don't have time these days. I will do next week.
> >>
> >> I am not sure GitHub Actions is the good place for such heavy weight
> >> Integration Tests, maybe we could move them back to ASF Jenkins
> >>
> >> Most of pending patches are not making critical changes, I am not sure
> >> if we can accept them even if GitHub Actions Integration Tests are not
> >> working.
> >> We can let the committer test the patch locally and assume
> responsability.
> >>
> >> The backlog of pending pull requests is growing
> >>
> >> Enrico

> https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/tests/integration/src/test/java/org/apache/pulsar/tests/integration/containers/ChaosContainer.java
> >> >
> https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/tests/integration/src/test/java/org/apache/pulsar/tests/integration/utils/DockerUtils.java

> (this.getContainerName().contains("functions-worker")) {

> integration

> timeout

> 0.25 sec
> in
> logging.
> >> > >
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureException
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureException314%5BERROR

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: GitHub Actions and integration tests, we have a problem!

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Guangning.